Nov 21, 2012, 1:25 PM EST
UPDATE: Lauber is now reporting that the deal is in place.
Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald reports that the Red Sox are “closing in on” a two-year deal with free agent outfielder Jonny Gomes, which might signal the end of their attempt to re-sign Cody Ross.
Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com wrote this morning that the Red Sox had narrowed their outfielder pursuit down to Ross and Gomes, and nearing an agreement with Gomes suggests Ross is drawing significant interest elsewhere and Boston perhaps decided he wasn’t worth paying a premium to retain.
Both players offer good right-handed power, but Ross is superior defensively and less of a liability versus right-handed pitching. Gomes played last season on a one-year, $1 million deal with the A’s and hit .262 with 18 homers and an .868 OPS in 99 games.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)