Nov 21, 2012, 8:22 PM EDT
ESPN’s Jayson Stark has the pre-turkey day scuttlebutt:
Tidbit I heard today: Scott Rolen has told Reds he may play in 2013, but not ready to make a decision. Reds would like him back in some role—
Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) November 21, 2012
On the one hand, Rolen had a pretty miserable NLDS against the Giants in October. On the other, he hit a pretty terrific .297/.376/.473 with five homers in 165 at-bats after the All-Star break. He’d seem to be quite an asset starting twice per week and teaching Todd Frazier the finer points of third base. The danger there is that Dusty Baker might be tempted to go back to him as a starter if Frazier turns in a poor April.
Still, the Reds might as well leave the spot open for him. Miguel Cairo will still be out there in February if Rolen decides he’s done.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 2
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 122
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (132)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)