Nov 21, 2012, 8:22 PM EST
ESPN’s Jayson Stark has the pre-turkey day scuttlebutt:
Tidbit I heard today: Scott Rolen has told Reds he may play in 2013, but not ready to make a decision. Reds would like him back in some role—
Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) November 21, 2012
On the one hand, Rolen had a pretty miserable NLDS against the Giants in October. On the other, he hit a pretty terrific .297/.376/.473 with five homers in 165 at-bats after the All-Star break. He’d seem to be quite an asset starting twice per week and teaching Todd Frazier the finer points of third base. The danger there is that Dusty Baker might be tempted to go back to him as a starter if Frazier turns in a poor April.
Still, the Reds might as well leave the spot open for him. Miguel Cairo will still be out there in February if Rolen decides he’s done.
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 64
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 238
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 160
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (243)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)