Shea Hillenbrand on the Blue Jays hiring John Gibbons: “That’s awesome. He’s a great guy”

Nov 21, 2012, 5:59 PM EDT

John Gibbons AP

In July 2006, Blue Jays infielder Shea Hillenbrand wrote “The ship is sinking” and “play for yourself” on a clubhouse bulletin board. In response, manager John Gibbons confronted him in a closed team meeting and challenged him to a fight. A couple days later Hillenbrand was traded away.

So what does Hillenbrand think about Gibbons being re-hired as the Jays manager? Brendan Kennedy of the Toronto Star talked to him and he thinks it’s quite delightful, actually:

“That’s awesome,” he said. “He’s a great guy …I think he handled the situation that we had very professionally and I didn’t handle it professionally at all … All I know is that during my time with him he was a really good manager and I think he did a really good job with what he had … I think John’s going to be a great addition to that ball club and he’s a great guy.”

Well, that’s no fun. No fun at all. Of course I skew misanthropic, so maybe it’s a good thing that there are no long-standing grudges here.

(Thanks to Paul Martin for the heads up)

1. cowboysoldiertx - Nov 21, 2012 at 7:59 PM

I remember Shea was a bit of a douche bag back in the day. Maybe he has grown up a little because he is taking responsibilty for his actions.

2. TestSubjekt - Nov 21, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Meh. Nothing to see here.

I’m with cowboys. I remember him as a d-bag when he was a player. I recall hearing that if Gibby didn’t challenge him to a fight that Gregg Zaun would have

3. soxfan1966 - Nov 22, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Hillenbrand was a clubhouse cancer in Boston as well — one of the reasons why they dumped him. It is refreshing, though, to see him own up to his mistakes and show a little maturity — even after the fact.

4. proudlycanadian - Nov 22, 2012 at 7:13 AM

Some people learn from their mistakes.

• dirtyharry1971 - Nov 23, 2012 at 10:29 AM

How much did they pay Shea to say this? Is he currently on the bluejay payroll? After all he was right, the ship is sinking and the titanic will be sinking again in 2013 cause there will be no playoffs for the jays next year either.

5. mazblast - Nov 22, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Heh. A reporter goes looking for something negative to print and gets this instead. It’s nice to see Hillenbrand appears to have grown up.

6. westcoastjay - Nov 23, 2012 at 12:59 AM

After the play ground fight the boys always become pals

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2854)