The Phillies are “asking around” about Koji Uehara

Nov 21, 2012, 8:30 AM EDT

Koji Uehara Getty Images

Random middle reliever rumors don’t exactly jazz me, but I like it when they remind me of fun things. So, from Rosenthal:

The Phillies, in their search for a setup man, are asking around about Rangers righty Koji Uehara, whose $4 million salary in 2013 might be more than Texas is willing to pay.

I like Uehara’s game and think he’d be a great guy for a team with bullpen issues like Philly to target. But I’m also reminded of the many yuks he provided when the Rangers considered trading him to the Blue Jays last February:

“The weather is an issue,” Uehara said. “I also know how hard it is to compete in that division.”

It’s pretty special when someone cites the weather as a problem when the team plays in a dome.  No word on whether Uehara has no-trade protection to Philly. Or what he thinks of the weather there.

1. mdpickles - Nov 21, 2012 at 8:46 AM

The weather in Philly is fair. Yuk yuk.

2. fordman84 - Nov 21, 2012 at 8:47 AM

He wasn’t going to live in the Blue Jays dome, and he is well aware of their weather from his days in BWI.

3. indaburg - Nov 21, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Well, it does occasionally rain batteries in Philly.

• thesportsguru7 - Nov 21, 2012 at 12:27 PM

And garbage in Atlanta…

• indaburg - Nov 21, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Very true. Are the Braves inquiring about him too? Uehara should be duly warned.

4. Francisco (FC) - Nov 21, 2012 at 8:56 AM

To be fair he’s likely talking about living in it. The commute and the various normal everyday activities that require one to be exposed to the vagaries of the weather. You don’t think he’s actually going to live IN the dome do you?

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 21, 2012 at 8:59 AM

And yes baseball is played in the summer but What about the offseason? I guess Koji could make like a bird and fly south for the winter but he likely wants to avoid the hassle.

• indaburg - Nov 21, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Isn’t there a hotel at the Rogers Centre? He could live there. Problem solved.

It’s not that much of a hassle to come south for the winter. The “Je me souviens” and Ontario license plates have already made their presence known on my local roads en force, and last weekend, I saw my first Canadian geese sighting of the season. Surely, if the geese can manage it, Uehara could figure it out.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 21, 2012 at 11:28 AM

You make a fair point. I guess Koji COULD live in Rogers Centre :)

• cur68 - Nov 21, 2012 at 12:44 PM

As a player, Robertp Alomar famously lived at Skydome in the hotel. He lead a very Jeter-esque life from there. No word on if Gift Baskets were involved.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 21, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Considering raunchy occurrences at that place in front of the glass of the rooms, I’m wondering more if Roberto appears in a home video somewhere.

• cur68 - Nov 21, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Without question if there had been cell phone cameras back then Robbie would be an internet star.

• indaburg - Nov 21, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I would totally live there if I was a ballplayer for the Jays. I would want it in my contract. Live like a king.

• cur68 - Nov 21, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Some of them do live there. Arencebia and Lawrie I believe roomed together there for a while and I suspect Reyes & Johnson will move in there. Maid service, workout facility, meals whenever you want it, driver, bar, a desk guy who’ll cater to your every whim: it would be Da Bomb.

• badintent - Nov 22, 2012 at 2:23 AM

@indaburg
        Better the Ontario than the Quebec plates.. Those big red Walrus on the bench are really frenchies in their speedos and beer bellies. they pretend not to speak English, just mention the “Bloc ” to them and they go bonkers.Add 15 % to all the tabs, or no tip $$ for the waitresses.

5. damon089 - Nov 21, 2012 at 9:30 AM

The ONLY one that’s been on the Rangers’ roster that the Phillies should be looking at is Josh Hamilton. I dont care about this fool.

• Charles Gates - Nov 21, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Yea, why would the Phillies be interested in a pitcher with 10.8 K/9 and a 14.33 K/BB ratio in 2012?

• stevejeltzjehricurl - Nov 21, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Did you watch the pen last year? Anybody with a serviceable arm and a decent salary should be a consideration. And that’s before we get to the inherent risks of signing Hamilton.

6. illcomm - Nov 21, 2012 at 9:35 AM

who would want to live in Canada? weather sucks. phily will be fine given he played for balt already

• historiophiliac - Nov 21, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Dude, if this weather thing keeps up, I’m gonna have to move north to cool off. I can follow the Tigers from there, so it’s all good. Hello, beaver!

7. beefytrout - Nov 21, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Koji was one of the few dependable pitchers at the end of the season last year. He also has the largest glove and sideburns in MLB. Would be bummed if he went elsewhere.

8. felser - Nov 21, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Baseball Reference shows him as having become a free agent on October 29, so not sure what Rosenthal’s reference to the Rangers paying a $4 million salary are about.

9. illcomm - Nov 21, 2012 at 10:24 AM

mini has a weird contract that let’s him choose arbitration or free agency. I guess he chosed free agency

10. deathmonkey41 - Nov 21, 2012 at 10:34 AM

I wouldn’t put much weight behind him not wanting to go to Toronto. That country has also tortured Japan with Bieber, Celine Dion, and Keanu Reeves. Sometimes crimes against humanity are too egregious to forget.

• stevejeltzjehricurl - Nov 21, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Come now — the Canadian government has apologized for Bryan Adams. I’m sure they’ll do the same for Bieber and Dion.

As for Reeves, the unintentional comedy he has inspired more than makes up for his craptastic acting. The man gave us Point Break, for crying out loud.

• historiophiliac - Nov 21, 2012 at 12:56 PM

In all fairness, much of the Dion horror is the fault of David Foster. I like that they can never make her completely LA. Foster, however, is a Canadian atrocity that has no redeeming social value.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 21, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Due to the wife’s musical preferences I must disagree on Bryan Adams. See my note further below.

• cur68 - Nov 21, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I counter that list of rogues with but one name: William Shatner. So there.

• historiophiliac - Nov 21, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Dude, that doesn’t help you.

• cur68 - Nov 21, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Don’t make me switch this phaser from “Stun” to “Obliterate”, Puddin’.

• historiophiliac - Nov 21, 2012 at 12:57 PM

You know I’m going to post all about yummy pun’kin pie tomorrow, right?

• cur68 - Nov 21, 2012 at 1:00 PM

I’ll obliterate you tomorrow, then. After the pie recipe. Pumkin Pie the only kind of pie I like. It is because its the most cheesecake-like of the pies.

• historiophiliac - Nov 21, 2012 at 1:19 PM

My sister handles the pies, sorry. I’m in charge of the sweet potatoes — it’s a vegetable AND a dessert, hello! Also, I’m in charge of the wine.

Team Nimoy!

• deathmonkey41 - Nov 21, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Coconut Custard. Don’t like coconut, but love when it’s in pie-form. William Shatner is the master of pause acting- no one had ever done it better nor will they…..in the future.

• historiophiliac - Nov 21, 2012 at 1:40 PM

deathmonkey, combining pie with coconut is illogical.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 21, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Aside from Shatner, more than easily countered by: Michael J. Fox, Rick Moranis (!), Dan Akroyd, Pamela Anderson (!), Bryan Adams, James Cameron (!), John Candy, Kim Catrall (!), early 90’s Jim Carrey, Tom Cochrane, Phil Hartman, Ferguson Jenkins, Christopher Plummer (!), Kiefer & Donald Sutherland and my favorite: Leslie “a.k.a Enricco Palazzo” Nielsen (!!!). I could go on…

• hisgirlgotburrelled - Nov 21, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Twice in 2 days I saw a high number of comments and thought there was some big discussion I should read. Turns out, both times, it was this.

And, dude, cheesecake is neither cake nor pie. It is its own thing.

• cur68 - Nov 21, 2012 at 3:16 PM

It is cake. Says so rich in the name. CheeseCAKE. Also, what else you got to talk about? Its the off season, all we got so far is that fat bastard Loria gutting his team and Anthopolous building his. If you have a topic, bring it on.

• historiophiliac - Nov 21, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Ahem, we can talk about my bf Torii Hunter again.

• cur68 - Nov 21, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Torri Hunter is your crush? Well, you could do worse, I suppose. He is apparently ageless, you know. That guy has looked exactly the same for the last 10 years. He might be engaging in a little off-the-record life-force consumption (like Charlize Theron in The Huntsman). I’m not sure if that violates the PEDs rules or not but you might wanna get a good grip on your youthful spirit and vitality if you plan on visiting him.

• historiophiliac - Nov 21, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Someone is now on my sh*t list. It’s Torii w/ two i’s and I am not old. How dare you imply. >:( So, looking forward to my baseball bf coming to the D! *dolphin squeal*

FC, point taken on Christopher Plummer.

• indaburg - Nov 21, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Shatner? I’m with ‘philiac. Spock is hotter. Better counter argument for a female. Canada gave us Ryan Gosling so we’re square.

Tomorrow, I am joining the dark side. I found a recipe for Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie and I’m making it. Chocolate and bourbon. If this pie is wrong, I don’t want to be right.

FC, Bryan Adams? Really?

Torii Hunter is like a chocolate labrador retriever. All cute and eager.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 21, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Sally, I’m actually indifferent to Mr Adams but per the contract agreement I signed back in 2005, I’m obliged to side with the spouse on her musical preferences. Which means I must also say good things about Lenny Kravitz.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 21, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Speaking of musical preferences Canada also gave us Saga, which on a personal level more than compensates for Justin Bieber. Fortunately the environment I am surrounded in limits my exposure to that kid to occasional news updates on TV… when I accidentally watch news on TV.

• indaburg - Nov 21, 2012 at 5:07 PM

FC, I’m not familiar with Saga but I’ll check them out. I know not all Canadian music is awful. Via my dad, I got an early education on Joni Mitchell and Neil Young (Crosby Stills Nash & Young to be specific). Good memories of singing with him.

• historiophiliac - Nov 21, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Burgie, a lady likes a nice mind-meld, no? That pie sounds AWESOME! What time do you eat? I’m not so much into Gosling. I don’t like ‘em too buff or too pretty. Isn’t he one of those workout boys? Eager works, though.

Lest anyone be inclined to give the Canadians a pass on their music, I say only: Rush.

• indaburg - Nov 21, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Oh, gawd, Rush makes my ears bleed.

Thanks! I can’t wait to taste it. Dinner is late by American Thanksgiving standards, 4pm. That’s 1pm in Dominican time.

I love me a mind meld. Spock is intelligent, logical, and aloof. Hot. I wasn’t into Ryan Gosling until I discovered he is surprisingly intelligent and kind of a feminist. Good looks are not imcompatible with intelligence. I loved him in Crazy, Stupid, Love (highly recommend) where he mocked his pretty boy persona. Blue Valentine is also a great movie. Kinda dark, very intimate. (Avoid The Notebook. Total schlock.)

• historiophiliac - Nov 21, 2012 at 10:21 PM

FYI, today is my mom’s birthday and I took her out for cheesecake tonight to celebrate. She had the mango key lime variety and I had this chocolate fudge cake-peanut butter cheesecake combo. I am now typing from a diabetic coma, but cake with cheesecake is a wonderful invention.

• badintent - Nov 22, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Add 90 % of Saturday Night Live in the 80’s, and 90’s Chevy, Dan, Jane, Mike, Bill, etc. Thanks for the laughs Canada !!

• hisgirlgotburrelled - Nov 22, 2012 at 11:49 PM

“Also, what else you got to talk about?” Nothing. I neaver meant it like ‘hey, this is a baseball site so knock it off.’

A peanut is more of a nut than a cheesecake is a cake. It has a crust so it’s closer to a pie. But it is not a pie. It’s a cheesecake, not comparable to any other dessert.

• cur68 - Nov 21, 2012 at 6:42 PM

@historiophiliac: wordpress has eaten my reply to you. Lets see if this one takes.

I’m not sure how you arrive at me calling you old. No matter how you parse “a good grip on your youthful spirit and vitality” it should equal “you have lots to hold on to”. Clearly someone has their phaser set on “creative misinterpretation”.

• historiophiliac - Nov 21, 2012 at 7:07 PM

You must listen to Rush as penance.

• cur68 - Nov 21, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I love Rush. I am today’s Tom Sawyer

• historiophiliac - Nov 21, 2012 at 7:14 PM

you are not right

• cur68 - Nov 21, 2012 at 7:27 PM

What you say about me is what you say about society…

• historiophiliac - Nov 21, 2012 at 7:30 PM

that’s a room temperature clown song, bro

• cur68 - Nov 21, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Oh yeah? Well goodbye my dear; my ship isn’t coming and I just can’t pretend that Torii Hunter won’t eat your soul.

• historiophiliac - Nov 21, 2012 at 7:37 PM

You know, half the time I have to stop myself from leaving comments that occur to me because I know the dudes on here will have a heyday if I say it. Accordingly, my Torii Hunter response is censored.

Stop making Burgie’s ears bleed.

• indaburg - Nov 21, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Ouch, my ears. Yes, please, stop. I tried to like Rush. It was just too pretentious for my taste. The only good thing I can say about Rush is that it is better than Jethro Tull.

Don't count out the Yankees just yet
  1. R. Castillo (4768)