Nov 21, 2012, 3:50 PM EDT
Remember Steven Cohen? He’s the billionaire hedge fund guy who (a) bought a minority interest in the Mets; then (b) tried to buy the Dodgers; and (c) turned south to San Diego and the Padres when that didn’t work?
Unlucky for him that he couldn’t become a baseball owner no matter how hard he tried. Not so unlucky for Major League Baseball:
U.S. officials for the first time Tuesday implicated Steven A. Cohen, the founder of SAC Capital Advisors LP, in an alleged insider-trading scheme they said was the most lucrative ever to be charged.
Traders in his firm had been tied up with this for a while, but he had been said not to have had any part in it. Cohen is not a defendant in the case, but he’s now mentioned in the criminal complaint as “Investor A” and will likely be a big part of the criminal prosecution coming out of this mess.
Can you imagine if he had got the Dodgers and couldn’t make it to some owners meeting because of a criminal subpoena? Yeah, that woulda been awesome.
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 129
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 33
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (130)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)