Andy Pettitte expected to make decision on 2013 by the end of next week

Nov 22, 2012, 9:03 PM EST

Andy Pettitte Getty Getty Images

The Yankees managed to keep Hiroki Kuroda in the fold this week with a one-year, $15 million contract, but they are still waiting on word from Andy Pettitte. They should have their answer soon.

Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com was told by a friend of Pettitte that he expects the veteran southpaw to make a decision on his status for 2013 by the end of next week. Pettitte’s “friend” could just be speculating, so take it for what it’s worth, but the timing makes some sense. While most expect Pettitte will return for another season, the Yankees would probably appreciate hearing some definitive word before the Winter Meetings begin on December 3.

Pettitte, 40, earned $2.5 million this season while posting a 2.87 ERA and 69/21 K/BB ratio over 75 1/3 innings. Count on him getting a nice raise if he comes back for 2013.

1. uyf1950 - Nov 22, 2012 at 9:53 PM

My guess if he decides to pitch the Yankees will offer him somewhere around $8MM with maybe some additional incentives on a 1 year deal. Whatever it is it will be worth it.

• cowboysoldiertx - Nov 23, 2012 at 9:24 AM

I can see a 8-10 million dollar deal with bonuses for games/innings. Anything over 10 would be crazy!

2. Glenn - Nov 22, 2012 at 11:18 PM

As a Red Sox fan, I’d like to see him retire, but it seems like he is still too good to walk away. These Yankee stars are like robots!

3. mybrunoblog - Nov 23, 2012 at 9:57 AM

one year $10.5 million and an additional $500k in incentives for an $11 million total seems good. Pettitte still has gas in his tank but at age 40/41 I would not expect more than 150 to 170 innings.
    A good clubhouse presence and a strong link to the glory years of the late 1990s makes this guy a valuable piece of the 2013 roster.

4. brandedthefirst - Nov 23, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Yankees move on if you don’t here from him before the beginning of next week, he stalls until May Yankees sign him for less the last year he goes the entire season pitching them to World Series title my wife then wakes me up seeing I’ve overslept again but now I remember the dream👻

5. brandedthefirst - Nov 23, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Hear* “from him”

6. brandedthefirst - Nov 23, 2012 at 11:07 AM

And that my friends is the longest sentence of the week I’m guessing?

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5362)
  2. M. Kemp (3165)
  3. C. McGehee (2923)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2921)
  5. J. Upton (2856)