Canadians will be able to see MLB Network soon

Nov 22, 2012, 12:40 PM EDT

canadian flag

Wait, they couldn’t before? That seems sad, especially given how handsome some of their content is. Oh well. They can now. Reader Pat M. alerted me to this from the Canadian Broadcasting Commission. Or whatever it’s called.

Addition of MLB Network to the List of non-Canadian programming services authorized for distribution

The Commission approves an application to add MLB Network to the List of non-Canadian programming services authorized for distribution and amends the list accordingly. The revised list is available on the Commission’s website at http://www.crtc.gc.ca under “Broadcasting Sector”.

This is good news, and not just for Canadians’ ability to see current baseball content. The presence of Mitch Williams on MLB Network’s various shows will allow them to relive some pleasant memories as well.

1. proudlycanadian - Nov 22, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Since we get the NFL network, it was only a matter of time for the MLB network. Fortunately, we do not get ESPN.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Nov 22, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Why in the world would you want ESPN? Jay and Dan are a better Sportscentre duo than any I’ve seen south of the border, and other than SC I can’t think of single a reason to watch ESPN.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Nov 22, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I need to learn how to read. Condolences!

• sportsland33 - Nov 22, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Read better.

How many live games does MLB network usually air? It’d be nice to get a few extra games a week, maybe forgo MLB.TV this year.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Nov 22, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Wouldn’t you need to pay for MLB Network though? My guess is MLB.TV would still be the better option for the price.

• sportsland33 - Nov 22, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Most likely no. I don’t currently pay specifically for NHL or NFL network or NBATV, they are included with my sports package, I assume MLB Network would be the part of that same package. You are right though, it would still be very difficult to give up on MLBTV

2. Jonny 5 - Nov 22, 2012 at 1:26 PM

What, more than hockey on tv in the tundra? Holy aye right?

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Nov 22, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Eh?

• cur68 - Nov 22, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Eh.

3. pmcenroe - Nov 22, 2012 at 1:35 PM

I’m pretty psyched. It was a real bummer when I moved up here just before MLB Network debuted, especially considering we don’t have Baseball Tonight either. Now instead of spending my Christmas trip down glued to the TV watching highlight shows like I just wokeup from a coma, I can spend it fighting with my family like a real American.

Thanks for the hat tip Craig

• historiophiliac - Nov 22, 2012 at 4:35 PM

And when you come home, you can bring Twinkies and gloat about how you can still get them up there.

4. Old Gator - Nov 22, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I want to start up a local pirate network offshore that will broadcast entirely CGI Feesh games in which all the stars processed into Soylent Teal by Scrooge McLoria and the Chihuahua can be seen still playing for the Feesh as if they were never traded, with Joe Girardi as their manager. We’ll skip the interleague games to avoid the ugly conundrums of what to do in games against the Tiggers and Feather Lice, and also to avoid desecrating some expensive software with designatedhitterball.

It would sell beeg down here.

5. xmatt0926x - Nov 22, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Mitch Williams is actually a pretty good part of the MLB network. He goes with the self-deprecation a little too much trying to be funny, but overall he gives pretty good analysis. As far as the Canadians having a special place in their heart for ol’ Mitch, I’m sure they are looking forward to more recent good memories, especially after this offseason so far. As a Phillies fan I can’t believe that Joe Carter homerun is getting close to 20 years ago. Wow.

• Kevin Gillman - Nov 22, 2012 at 4:10 PM

How about this, Joe Carter was my favorite Cleveland Indians player when I first became a fan of baseball, and that was 1985…27 years ago.

6. vipod4ever - Nov 22, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Sure, MLB sounds good. All I hear from the NHL Network is the zamboni.

7. aceinthehole12 - Nov 22, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Aboot time eh ?

• historiophiliac - Nov 22, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Ya, looking forward to the great colour commentary. How aboot those Jays, eh?

8. dirtyharry1971 - Nov 22, 2012 at 7:36 PM

So i guess this means all 7 baseball fans that live in canada will be able to watch baseball.

• jaysjunkie - Nov 22, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Annnnnd he’s back. Unfortunately.

• cur68 - Nov 22, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Out of jail again? That’s good. Try not breaking any laws for a while, eh? Y’know, pay for stuff and so on?

• indaburg - Nov 22, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Lame.

9. jaysjunkie - Nov 22, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Sportsnet aired the weekly Intentional Talk best of show up here last season and I loved it. Not enough to get a subscription to the channel next season, mind you.

10. serbingood - Nov 22, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Just Great. Canada gets the MLB network and I, living on the West Coast of the USA, can’t get a Yankee game when they play a California team. Moving to Canada is looking better and better….

Selig is still around, right?

• historiophiliac - Nov 22, 2012 at 11:25 PM

For 2 more seasons he says — boy, will we have something to be thankful for then, huh?

11. canadabaseball - Nov 23, 2012 at 12:21 AM

They act like Canada getting a TV network is a huge deal. Yea it’s nice to get it but it’s not like a break threw and it’s playing in F&$king mars. Anyway I’d rather watch Jay and Dan

• ThatGuy - Nov 23, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Who is acting like its a break through? Its an offseason story with a link to a government decision on an application to broadcast MLB Network. There isn’t even any narrative really in the linked story, its just the facts break down of the approval.

Who is this theoretical “they” that is acting like its a big deal? Craig and the 10 sentence quip he had on it or the government agency doing its job and approving an application?

• rsnorth - Nov 23, 2012 at 11:38 PM

You are correct ThatGuy and the government agency, aka the CRTC, regulates all broadcasters in Canada. Not to be confused with the CBC, or Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, which has previously broadcast Blue Jays and Expos (remember them?) baseball and is the home to Hockey Night in Canada, the 2014 World Cup and the 2014 Winter and 2016 Summer Olympics.

12. dirtyharry1971 - Nov 24, 2012 at 12:27 AM

stick with hockey canada cause you are the only ones who watch it

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win