Happy Thanksgiving, HBT citizens

Nov 22, 2012, 8:49 AM EST

turkeysaway

I’m sitting in the Nashville airport, leg one of my flight to San Antonio down and an hour or so until leg two takes off.  ProTip: flying on Thanksgiving — as opposed to the day before — is the way to go. It’s possible that there are more chill airport experiences than on a big holiday, but I’m not sure I’ve ever experienced one.

Thanksgiving for me: Texas-style. Which means that in addition to the turkey and stuff, we get ribs courtesy of Allison’s uncle and his insanely huge, hand-built grill, situated on property that is nothing short of a compound in an undisclosed location in Texas Hill Country. Life, as they say, does not suck.

I hope your life doesn’t suck on this holiday. And if it does, I hope you survive it and it gets better. I’m pretty sure there won’t be much in the way of baseball news to take your mind off of sucky things today, but if anything does happen we’ll get to it.  In the meantime, feel free to use this as an open thread to wish one another well.  Or troll the hell out of each other like usual. I don’t care. I’m gonna be eating ribs.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

1. Jonny 5 - Nov 22, 2012 at 1:38 PM

mmmmm Turkey…..

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

• Old Gator - Nov 22, 2012 at 1:44 PM

I prefer goose. It’s got that BIG DUCK FLAVOR.

2. mookie311 - Nov 22, 2012 at 5:55 PM

as god is my witness, i thought turkeys could fly.

3. brewcrewfan54 - Nov 22, 2012 at 8:25 PM

“Or troll the hell out of each other as usual…”

This for some reason made me laugh out loud.

4. anxovies - Nov 23, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Actually, the can fly… kinda. When I was stationed in Cherry Point MAB, N.C., circa 1966, they had a turkey drop the day before Thanksgiving. That’s when you have a C 130 fly in low and slow over the athletic fields and shove live turkeys out the back ramp and they kind of float to the ground unharmed while desperately flapping their wings only to be chased down for Thanksgiving dinner by enlisted wives and kids. Since mookie has already used “as God is my witness”, I’ll say, this ain’t no bullshit, guys.

• Old Gator - Nov 24, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Wild turkeys fly well, and fast too. I used to hunt them with falcons in Britain. The hawks find them easier to nail than pheasants, but they’re still pretty nimble when they have to be. Domestically raised turkeys are much (artificially) heavier than wild ones which is why they don’t get airborne much.

Incidentally, wild turkeys taste more like goose than farm raised turkeys.

• jimeejohnson - Nov 25, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Had a wild turkey collapse my windshield! It took off from the side of the highway, and I didn’t have time to react. To add insult to injury, the turkey flew away, while I had to drive with my head out the drivers side window, with typical NY assholes honking at me to speed up even though my windshield was a spider web and my hands were bleeding from glass shards.

Eat as much turkey as you can, and not just on Thanksgiving!

5. natstowngreg - Nov 25, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Just got back from visiting family in my native Upstate New York. It was even better than usual because the weather was unusually nice most of the week.

Not to mention that I could tell my Yankees fan nephew that my team won more games than his team. (Hey, I’m his uncle, I can do that. Besides, it’s nice to be able to tell my relatives about the Nats’ successes for a change.)

Hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving.

6. bklynbaseball - Nov 26, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Craig, I trust you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Will miss chatting with you at the Winter Meetings next week. Have a great time!

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5012)