Happy Thanksgiving, HBT citizens

Nov 22, 2012, 8:49 AM EDT

turkeysaway

I’m sitting in the Nashville airport, leg one of my flight to San Antonio down and an hour or so until leg two takes off.  ProTip: flying on Thanksgiving — as opposed to the day before — is the way to go. It’s possible that there are more chill airport experiences than on a big holiday, but I’m not sure I’ve ever experienced one.

Thanksgiving for me: Texas-style. Which means that in addition to the turkey and stuff, we get ribs courtesy of Allison’s uncle and his insanely huge, hand-built grill, situated on property that is nothing short of a compound in an undisclosed location in Texas Hill Country. Life, as they say, does not suck.

I hope your life doesn’t suck on this holiday. And if it does, I hope you survive it and it gets better. I’m pretty sure there won’t be much in the way of baseball news to take your mind off of sucky things today, but if anything does happen we’ll get to it.  In the meantime, feel free to use this as an open thread to wish one another well.  Or troll the hell out of each other like usual. I don’t care. I’m gonna be eating ribs.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

1. chill1184 - Nov 22, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Everyone enjoy consuming their large bird today

• Old Gator - Nov 22, 2012 at 1:45 PM

My large bird was a hyacinth macaw. That was the most expensive meal I ever ate – even more expensive than that Kobe steak dinner in Kyoto a few years back.

2. giantssb42champs - Nov 22, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Thanks Craig same to you. Great photo –
    “With God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!!!”

• raysfan1 - Nov 22, 2012 at 10:41 AM

“Oh my goodness, oh the humanity! Turkeys are hitting the ground like bags of wet cement!”

• Old Gator - Nov 22, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Plastic bags of raw chicken livers?

• ezthinking - Nov 22, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Great show. The sad fact is that wild turkeys can fly, often roosting in trees at night, but your Butterball on your table today could not.

Trust me, store bought flightless turkey tastes much better than the wild versions.

• historiophiliac - Nov 22, 2012 at 11:47 AM

One of my funniest T-day moments was when I lived in western Mass and my ex treed a wild turkey behind our house with his 6-iron — yelling back at the house: “Bring me my rifle!” lol

3. natslady - Nov 22, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Well, I was wrong on Buerhle. Apparently the Nats DID offer him a no-trade-clause, according to Mark Zuckerman’s annual “What to be thankful for.”

MARK BUEHRLE: That he turned down the Nationals’ three-year contract offer — with no-trade clause included — last winter and instead took four years (without a no-trade clause) from the Miami Marlins. Oh wait, he’s not thankful for that decision at all.

Please, Mr. LaRoche, consider your decision carefully!

4. natslady - Nov 22, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Yep, it’s entirely possible and very convenient to fly from DC to the midwest on Thanksgiving morning and get there in plenty of time for dinner and football. The problem is, Sunday night coming home—!!!

5. phillysoulfan - Nov 22, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Happy Thanksgiving. Love the picture, btw. Had to be the funniest Thanksgiving episode ever.

6. randygnyc - Nov 22, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Happy Gobble Day to all!!!!!!

7. kiwicricket - Nov 22, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I am riddled with questions…

Why Turkey?

What is the picture from?

And since Craig mentions it….do you have to pre-boil the Ribs first before BBQ-ing? Been pre-boiling in a pot for 30mins with some onion, garlic and a few cloves for good measure, them whipping them onto the grill and basting in a nice marinade, (Makes a lovely stock actually) but would like to know some opinions on the matter…

Is this your official start to the stress-induced overindulgence of the holiday season?

• cur68 - Nov 22, 2012 at 10:37 AM

That’s a pic of Les Nesman a character from a tv show called “WKRP”: An awesome sitcom from the 80’s. Its about WKRP radio station in Cincinnati.

The plot: The hapless boss decides to stage a Big Event on Thanksgiving. Tosses live turkey’s out a helicopter as a giveaway. What he didn’t know: turkey’s cannot fly. He bombed downtown Cincinnati with live turkeys. Les, the news anchor for the radio station is covering the unfolding drama. He handles it like he’s Walter Cronkite in Saigon. Finishes up by claiming the Turkeys got together and staged a counterattack.

• raysfan1 - Nov 22, 2012 at 10:39 AM

The picture is from a TV show called “WKRP in Cincinnati”–and this Thanksgiving episode was a classic.

If the link doesn’t work, google YouTube, “As God Is My Witness, I Thought Turkeys Could Fly!”

• indaburg - Nov 22, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Best WKRP in Cincinnati espisode ever.

• raysfan1 - Nov 22, 2012 at 11:59 AM

True. I also loved the little radio clips that were part of the intro theme each week–“The senator, while denying he was intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.”

• mrwillie - Nov 22, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Lewis Black may help explain Thanksgiving for you.

• blacksables - Nov 22, 2012 at 11:04 AM

ACtually, Les’ commnetary is an almost word-for-word replay of the on-site reporter who did the radio broadcast of the Hindenburg disaster.

• kiwicricket - Nov 22, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Thanks. I used to watch that show in the early 90’s as a kid. It seems we were only a decade or so behind. Not bad for middle earth.

8. mdpickles - Nov 22, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Happy Thanksgiving! What channel is Dominican League baseball on today? These football games look meh.

9. pmcenroe - Nov 22, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Not sure how active HBT will be today but for an expat living in Canada this is amazaing news on an otherwise depressing day.

10. thephilsabide - Nov 22, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Happy Food Coma Day!

11. rollinghighwayblues - Nov 22, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Happy Thanksgiving to all of my HBT posters/readers!

Craig, if you get bored with the fam, mosey on up north and sniff me out, I’ll be trying my best to consume four gallons of bourbon this holiday.

12. natslady - Nov 22, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Here is the source of the picture.

• historiophiliac - Nov 22, 2012 at 10:34 AM

I was going to post the link to Hulu but I got distracted watching the episode. lol

• kiwicricket - Nov 22, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Thanks

13. retaeyssup - Nov 22, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Have fun in Bandera. Tell her uncle to go to the dentist.

• kiwicricket - Nov 22, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Are you just generalizing or do you actually know the person? (Both options are amusing)

14. cur68 - Nov 22, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Happy thanksgiving, Americans. Why don’t you folks do this sort of thing a month sooner like us saner Canadians? This way you spread you feasting out. Y’all’ll barely have time to get over the TG turkey before you have to have Christmas turkey. Anyhow, do your cardio.

• raysfan1 - Nov 22, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Just spreading our caloric orgies out a bit, have to have time to finish off the last of the Halloween candy before Thanksgiving.

• historiophiliac - Nov 22, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Pie!

(and ham is for Christmas)

• cur68 - Nov 22, 2012 at 11:13 AM

…is not as good as cake.

• historiophiliac - Nov 22, 2012 at 11:32 AM

This is an official pie holiday (US).

• indaburg - Nov 22, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Pernil is for Christmas. Roast pork Dominican style. God bless the pig.

• roverkarlthecannedham - Nov 22, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I am touched beyond measure that you would think of me like that. God bless you too, miss. Happy Thanksgiving everyone. From Nearsighted Pork everywhere let me wish you every enjoyment of your turkey. Eat more turkey, please.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 22, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Speaking of turkey and pork, I have memories of my mother placing bacon on the exterior or the bird when she cooked one. She said that it offset the dryness of the white turkey meat. I rarely eat turkey myself because of its blandness. A friend is having a birthday tomorrow, so chocolate cake it is.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 22, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Pernil is for Christmas. Roast pork Dominican style. God bless the pig.

So when you complain about men being pigs, really, you’re just complimenting my gender amirite?

• indaburg - Nov 22, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Because being sane is boring. We Ameicans may be a lot of things but boring isn’t one of them.

15. goawaydog - Nov 22, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Yay! Triptophan!

• Old Gator - Nov 22, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Well, it’s tryptophan – but that’s OK, my generation mixed its turkey with acid too.

• cur68 - Nov 22, 2012 at 11:09 AM

This reminds me of the one (and only) Thanksgiving I spent with my New York relatives. They take this feast seriously there. I was unprepared for HOW seriously. Being Canadian, I had already had TG and was pretty blah about the whole thing. Also, being a teenager I was a shithead. Most teenagers are shitheads, but I was going for the Olympic Shithead Record that year. It was as though I was on acid.

I had been delegated to do the pre-dinner mysticism that my aunt liked to engage in; she wanted me to say a prayer before we fell upon her meal. I decided, in my boredom to name the turkey. Courtney The Turkey. Then I made up random turkey facts about it.

As near as I can remember this is what I said:
        “Thank you any deity that might be listening. Thank you Courtney the Turkey for giving up your life that we might eat you. Courtney was a lively and intelligent bird. She came from a large family and was the pride of her brood. She learned to peck & gobble and before her brothers and sisters. She enjoyed corn, worms, and grubs. As you can see, she was fat so I daresay she enjoyed them too much. Lets hope those worms and grubs were living right and not steeped in chemicals…”

I think that’s about as far as I got. Both my brothers and all my cousins congratulated me on the best TG prayer they had ever heard. Both sets of parents competed with punishment detail for me. I have never washed so many dishes in my life.

Enjoy that turkey, Gator.

• indaburg - Nov 22, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Having been raised in the Catholic tradition, I have to say that is the Best. Prayer. Ever.

I name my turkey Harry. Don’t ask.

16. raysfan1 - Nov 22, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Craig, i used to live in San Antonio too–be sure to take in the holiday lights on the River Walk. My fav Mexican restaurant is not on the River Walk though. If you can, try Paloma Blanca on Broadway.

• historiophiliac - Nov 22, 2012 at 11:02 AM

There’s no basement in the Alamo.

• indaburg - Nov 22, 2012 at 11:46 AM

As Pee-wee sadly discovered. I miss that tv show too. That and WKRP.

• Old Gator - Nov 22, 2012 at 1:30 PM

historio: true, once you get through the ice cream, the apples and the crust, you strike dish.

17. Old Gator - Nov 22, 2012 at 11:12 AM

A happy and healthy Native American Extermination Day to most of you.

Now, I know that many of you have lain awake all night worrying about those health warnings on television, on the internet, in the inflammatory flyers local PETA volunteers left in your mailboxes and on the Yahoo! front news page about all the lethal bacteria you have imported into your kitchen with your turkey, otherwise known as Squanto’s Revenge. I know you’ve also wondered about how our Pilgrim foredaddies managed to celebrate through their first massacre of a native village without collapsing with cramps and spasms after consuming all those contaminated wild turkeys back in the day.

Well, I don’t have an answer to that, but, I did find a simple, hassle free way of combating all the lethal bacteria – you know, salmonella, Helicobactor pylori, Tralfamadoria – carried by raw poulty. It’s easier than handling the bird with rubber gloves, washing down the sink and environs with disinfectant soap and so forth. Here it is: after laboriously stripping the ridiculously tight and tough mylar wrapping from your turkey, tilt it over the sink drain and let all the unidentifiable, noisome reddish-tinted slime run out of it. Remove the giblets for your gravy and set aside in a decontaminated reactor fuel rod. Then, spray the turkey liberally with Lysol disinfectant spray. Turn the turkey over and spray the other side. Tilt the turkey neck-down and spray the cavity as well.

Voila! Your turkey is now bacteria free and ready for field testing.

The better news is that for the most part yams and the following ingredients don’t generally vector lethal bacteria (aside from maybe a little botulism, which you won’t find on your counter because it’s an anaerobe), so here’s a reasonably safe recipe for sweet potato, pineapple and marshmallow pie:

1 can yams in syrup
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 sm. can crushed pineapple
    as much of a bag of marshmallows as you have left after feeding the alligator in the canal out back
    1 graham cracker pie crust

Here ya go: mash the pineapple together with the yams, brown sugar and cinnamon. Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl and whisk into the yam mixture.

Line the bottom of the graham cracker crust liberally with cut-up marshmallows (or use those little marshmallows that look like mothballs) and pour the mixture over them. Bake at 400F until you see the surface of the pie browning a little – usually about 45 minutes or so – then spread another layer of marshmallows over the top and bake until they melt and begin to brown.

Yum.

• historiophiliac - Nov 22, 2012 at 11:29 AM

I was with you until your yams were canned. Gasp! Noooooo! (also, no nutmeg?? hmm, guess not with the pineapple. :( )

I decided this is the year I’m going to disillusion my nephew and niece about the first thanksgiving. Wahahaha!

• Old Gator - Nov 22, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Ackcherley, for this pie, no nutmeg – if I want a pumpkin pie, I make a pumpkin pie – and the canned yams work better in a sweetened pie because of the syrup in which they are packed. Obviously, this is not a recipe designed for diabetics but you can substitute Splenda brown sugar blend and drain the syrup well or, if you want, kill yourself baking fresh yams for it when you have so many other things to do if you’re the one doing the cooking (my wife is British so I have to do it – not much on the menu is boiled).

A Native American Extermination Day yam epic: yeah, but since you kvetched about the yams (I have a pal who’s a professional chef who snipes at me for using Liquid Smoke in my quail marinade), here’s the true story about how I stopped blanching and learned to love the yam. I grew up hating sweet potatoes (we never called them “yams,” that was something our exterminated predecessors on this continent called them). Hating them. I cannot explain this – perhaps I was abused by one in my protoconscious infancy or at a particularly delicate phase of my Lacanian mirror stage. Or maybe it was my grandmother’s sweet potato pie, with the melted marshmallows on top that always gave me pizza mouth. Whatever.

Anyway, so I grew up hating ya…sweet potatoes. Then, as a senior in high school, an especially perspicacious English teacher pre-empted the free choice of book for a midterm paper he allowed everyone else in the class and shoved a copy of a mammoth tome under my nose with instructions to read it and do my paper on it: Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison. Unaware that I had been ushered to the crossroads of my intellectual life, such as it was to be, much like Robert Johnson going to meet one of the two greatest guys in the universe, that great guy downstairs, and too stoned to care at the time (there was some just killer weed abroad in the land back then), I embarked upon Ellington’s opus with a pried-open mind. Somewhere during the first third of the novel the nameless protagonist, a young black man who has already been railroaded in just about every imaginable, albeit hilarious, way that White Amerika can railroad a young black man, is wandering through Harlem with his ass freezing off. He comes upon an old man selling charcoal baked ya…sweet potatoes from a cart, and with his last dime purchases one. The ensuing scene has always struck me as a bit of a goof on Marcel Proust being blown into his past by the taste of tea and madeleines, but suffice it to say that the ensuing description of that ya…aw, fuck it, yam, split open and steaming, sweet and bubbly – well, it’s Ellington, you know – had to rank as the single most sensual, no, erotic description of a root vegetable in all of American literature. If I already had an incipient case of the munchies, well, that passage inflamed it like a cartoon of the Prophet at a Taliban strategy meeting.

I made my way through the chill Macondo afternoon to the grocery store, bought a swee…I mean, a yam, brought it home, wrapped it in foil, threw it in the oven and baked it until I saw it collapse into semi-liquidity, broke it open, slathered it with butter, and dove in as if it had hair on it.

Oh.
      Dear.
      Buddha.

One might say that my entire life since then has been a protracted quest for the perfect yam. I do not expect ever to reach my goal. But at least I’ll never be short of motivation.

18. cowboysoldiertx - Nov 22, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Happy THanksgiving from Texas. Its goign to be 75 and the Cowboys are goign to lose. Thank goodness for tequilla and my hot woman. Amen!

• indaburg - Nov 22, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Spoken like a true Texan. Happy Thanksgiving to you, sir.

19. historiophiliac - Nov 22, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I am thankful that the Tigers are the reigning AL champs, that Miggy is MVP, that V-Mart is returning, and that Torii Hunter is coming to the D! Much to be grateful for this baseball Thanksgiving.

20. kiwicricket - Nov 22, 2012 at 11:42 AM

6yrs ago today, I was sitting on a park bench in Solvang CA, enjoying my makeshift early meal of smoked meats and cheese I scavenged from the winery I was working at. Sun was setting over the landscape, had a glass of overly expensive Pinot(also scavenged) and genuinely enjoying being in a different country soaking up the environment in which I existed.
    Next thing I knew, a religious group of some sorts gathered around me, gossiping among themselves as though I was a mute alien. Some going as far as to hug me and ask about my family. “I was special to them” regardless of my current situation they declared.

Feeling half drunk and overly awkward, I excused myself politely from their intervention and went and found a nice quiet spot in which to enjoy the early evening.

Sometimes being alone ain’t that bad.

• 4d3fect - Nov 22, 2012 at 1:34 PM

We were right up the road. You never called, you never visited.

*sniff*

21. indaburg - Nov 22, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Happy Thanksgiving to all y’all. Heading over to my loud and large family gathering. Taking my tylenol pre-emptively for the headache. Like kiwi said sometimes being alone ain’t so bad. My chocolate bourbon pecan pie is in the oven and if the egg/chocolate/bourbon/butter/sugar batter mix in any indication, it is going to be da bomb.

I’m thankful I still have a team in Florida that cares about winning, that Maddon is our manager, Friedman is our GM, and our pitching staff is top notch. A good hitter is on my Christmas wish list. I’ve been a good girl all year so hopefully Santa will deliver.

• historiophiliac - Nov 22, 2012 at 12:22 PM

I appreciate that you knew to use the plural of “y’all.” lol Happy Thanksgiving!

• indaburg - Nov 22, 2012 at 1:00 PM

I have been in the South long enough. Y’all is singular. All y’all is plural. :-) Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

22. APBA Guy - Nov 22, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Happy Thanksgiving from all of us on the West Coast. Just the usual day in NorCal, sunny, no clouds, mid-60’s, low humidity. Stunning.

In baseball related thanks, I’m extremely thankful for the A’s having had such an entertaining year. The crowds at the Mausoleum the last 6 weeks of the season were magnificent. Who knows, the A’s may even be competitive this season again, the G & P Beane willing.

But more than that, I’m grateful for this site as a way to engage fans across the country. It’s incredibly rare that the comments section of a web site is readable, let alone as high-value as this one. To the few of you I’ve met in person to the many, many more I’ve yet to meet, have a fabulous Thanksgiving!

23. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Nov 22, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Happy Thanksgiving from the congregation of the Church(TM), and to our friends in the north who’ve already celebrated theirs, and our friends in Kiwi country.

And just remember:

24. scotttheskeptic - Nov 22, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Still an infrequent commenter, but frequent reader. Happy Thanksgiving (the quintessential American holiday) to fellow fans of the quintessential American game.

25. professormaddog31 - Nov 22, 2012 at 1:00 PM

I’m also one who doesn’t say a whole lot, but this is my favorite baseball blog (even though I don’t always pipe up).

I am spending Thanksgiving with the in-laws instead of my folks this year. I don’t like my father-in-law’s stuffing but you know…it’s a time to be thankful, right?

Enjoy your day, HBTers.