DeMarlo Hale accepts bench coach job with Blue Jays

Nov 23, 2012, 9:44 PM EST

DeMarlo Hale Getty Getty Images

UPDATE: Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com reports that Hale has accepted the bench coach job in Toronto.

Friday, 9:44 PM: Well, would you look at that? Some actual news on this slow Friday evening.

The Orioles were hoping to retain DeMarlo Hale as their third base coach, but Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com hears that he’s likely going to accept the bench coach job with the Blue Jays. Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com goes a step further by saying Hale will be hired and adds that he could get a three-year deal to join John Gibbons’ staff.

Hale has a long history as a coach and a minor league manager. He was on Terry Francona’s staff in Boston for six years, both as a third base coach and bench coach, before joining the Orioles last season. The Blue Jays actually interviewed him for manager two offseasons ago before they hired John Farrell.

1. husky2score - Nov 23, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Aw man I liked him a lot. And of course he goes to Jays. Honestly, to me, I think the Jays will not be contenders of the playoffs. I’ve said it before. When all these superstars come together on a big team, it doesn’t turn out well.

2. cur68 - Nov 23, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Yes! A solid coaching choice. Good. His steady presence on the bench will be just what the youngsters need to keep them focused on the job at hand and productive. He’ll be good for the bigger guns, too but those guys are pros and they know what it takes to get the job done at this level.

One more pitcher, Anthopolous…c’mon…..

• proudlycanadian - Nov 25, 2012 at 9:15 AM

I dreamt last night that the Jays offered Rasmus, Buck and Drabek to the Phillies for Doc. Then I woke up.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 25, 2012 at 9:19 AM

More of the dream is returning to me. Happ and a prospect (Stilson or Nolin) were also part of the trade I dreamt up.

• cur68 - Nov 25, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Your dreams are better than mine. I dreamt about a race I was running. Apparently I run races in molasses. I would kill to have a baseball dream. Mostly its work or trying some sort of physical endeavour that’s hampered by environmental factors. I’m sure there’s something deeply wrong with me.

3. missthemexpos - Nov 23, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Thought that Hale would have been a good choice for manager until AA came out publicly that an experienced major league manager would be chosen. I hope that Dwayne Murphy is retained as hitting coach, really did wonders with EE last season

• paint771 - Nov 24, 2012 at 12:36 AM

I’d be surprised if they replaced either Murph or Bruce Walton.

4. bluenoser23 - Nov 23, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Solid hire by the Jays. Hale probably sees himself as the next manager of the Jays.

5. dirtyharry1971 - Nov 24, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Hey DeMarlo, dont bother buying a home in toronto cause you wont be there very long. The ship will be sinking again and the jays will close up shop by 2014

6. cinfante54 - Nov 24, 2012 at 12:25 AM

7. proudlycanadian - Nov 24, 2012 at 7:09 AM

Very interesting. Unlike a lot of management stories about the Jays, this one sounds true. Since the contract for Gibbons is widely reported in Toronto as 2 years plus an option, Hale would probably get the same deal.

8. thebigtim2012 - Nov 24, 2012 at 7:31 AM

Love demarlo when he was in Boston. Solid pick up for the jays

9. bluenoser23 - Nov 24, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Haven’t seen this story confirmed by ESPN, SI, local papers, etc.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 24, 2012 at 11:16 AM

ESPN? You have to be kidding. What do they know? The Jays will probably say nothing until all the coaches have been hired. The sources cited above seem to be very close to the Orioles. It is not claimed that the hire is final, only that it is highly probable.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (6309)