Nov 23, 2012, 9:44 PM EDT
UPDATE: Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com reports that Hale has accepted the bench coach job in Toronto.
Friday, 9:44 PM: Well, would you look at that? Some actual news on this slow Friday evening.
The Orioles were hoping to retain DeMarlo Hale as their third base coach, but Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com hears that he’s likely going to accept the bench coach job with the Blue Jays. Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com goes a step further by saying Hale will be hired and adds that he could get a three-year deal to join John Gibbons’ staff.
Hale has a long history as a coach and a minor league manager. He was on Terry Francona’s staff in Boston for six years, both as a third base coach and bench coach, before joining the Orioles last season. The Blue Jays actually interviewed him for manager two offseasons ago before they hired John Farrell.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)