Nov 23, 2012, 10:43 PM EDT
After trading for Ervin Santana and re-signing Jeremy Guthrie, the Royals are determined to add a frontline starting pitcher in order to give some legitimacy to their rotation. And they are willing to go to great lengths in order to accomplish their goal.
According to Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports, the Royals have dangled top prospect outfielder Wil Myers in trade talks. In fact, pretty much anyone outside of Salvador Perez and Alcides Escobar, who have team-friendly contracts, can be had for the right pitcher.
From veterans like designated hitter Billy Butler to left fielder Alex Gordon to youngsters like first baseman Eric Hosmer and third baseman Mike Moustakas, the Royals aren’t limiting themselves in their search for a pitcher. Butler and Gordon come with track records of production – and contracts to match. Butler is owed $16 million over the next two years, with a $12.5 million club option in 2015. Gordon will make $31.5 million through ’15 and has a player option at $12.5 million for 2016.
Passan hears that the Royals have discussed deals with the Rays, Diamondbacks, Mariners and Athletics. While they “covet” Rays right-hander James Shields, they are hesitant to trade for him because he only has two years left on his contract and has logged the second-most regular season innings over the past two seasons.
Myers, who turns 22 next month, batted .314/.387/.600 with 37 home runs, 109 RBI and a .987 OPS in 134 games this season between Double-A Northwest Arkansas and Triple-A Omaha. Baseball America named him as their minor league player of the year.
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 16
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 15
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 41
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- Zack Greinke’s scoreless innings streak ends at 45 2/3 7
- Royals acquire ace Johnny Cueto from the Reds 71
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)