Nov 23, 2012, 10:43 PM EDT
After trading for Ervin Santana and re-signing Jeremy Guthrie, the Royals are determined to add a frontline starting pitcher in order to give some legitimacy to their rotation. And they are willing to go to great lengths in order to accomplish their goal.
According to Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports, the Royals have dangled top prospect outfielder Wil Myers in trade talks. In fact, pretty much anyone outside of Salvador Perez and Alcides Escobar, who have team-friendly contracts, can be had for the right pitcher.
From veterans like designated hitter Billy Butler to left fielder Alex Gordon to youngsters like first baseman Eric Hosmer and third baseman Mike Moustakas, the Royals aren’t limiting themselves in their search for a pitcher. Butler and Gordon come with track records of production – and contracts to match. Butler is owed $16 million over the next two years, with a $12.5 million club option in 2015. Gordon will make $31.5 million through ’15 and has a player option at $12.5 million for 2016.
Passan hears that the Royals have discussed deals with the Rays, Diamondbacks, Mariners and Athletics. While they “covet” Rays right-hander James Shields, they are hesitant to trade for him because he only has two years left on his contract and has logged the second-most regular season innings over the past two seasons.
Myers, who turns 22 next month, batted .314/.387/.600 with 37 home runs, 109 RBI and a .987 OPS in 134 games this season between Double-A Northwest Arkansas and Triple-A Omaha. Baseball America named him as their minor league player of the year.
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 216
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 44
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (216)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (103)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)