Nov 24, 2012, 10:40 AM EDT
The good news keeps on coming regarding Brandon McCarthy.
After McCarthy was cleared to resume baseball activities earlier this month, Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports hears that the free agent right-hander is set to start throwing next month. In other words, he will have a normal offseason just a few months removed from season-ending brain surgery. Pretty great.
This is oddly a testament to McCarthy’s progress, but Passan hears that teams are more concerned about his history of shoulder issues at this point. However, assuming everything checks out with his medicals, executives believe he’ll be able to land a multi-year contract.
McCarthy, 29, posted a 3.24 ERA and 73/24 K/BB ratio over 111 innings this season. He owns a 3.29 ERA dating back to the start of the 2011 season. Only 23 pitchers (min. 250 IP) have a lower ERA during the same timespan.
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 13
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 10
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 32
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 12
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)