Nov 24, 2012, 10:40 AM EDT
The good news keeps on coming regarding Brandon McCarthy.
After McCarthy was cleared to resume baseball activities earlier this month, Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports hears that the free agent right-hander is set to start throwing next month. In other words, he will have a normal offseason just a few months removed from season-ending brain surgery. Pretty great.
This is oddly a testament to McCarthy’s progress, but Passan hears that teams are more concerned about his history of shoulder issues at this point. However, assuming everything checks out with his medicals, executives believe he’ll be able to land a multi-year contract.
McCarthy, 29, posted a 3.24 ERA and 73/24 K/BB ratio over 111 innings this season. He owns a 3.29 ERA dating back to the start of the 2011 season. Only 23 pitchers (min. 250 IP) have a lower ERA during the same timespan.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 33
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 21
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (75)