Nov 24, 2012, 10:40 AM EST
The good news keeps on coming regarding Brandon McCarthy.
After McCarthy was cleared to resume baseball activities earlier this month, Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports hears that the free agent right-hander is set to start throwing next month. In other words, he will have a normal offseason just a few months removed from season-ending brain surgery. Pretty great.
This is oddly a testament to McCarthy’s progress, but Passan hears that teams are more concerned about his history of shoulder issues at this point. However, assuming everything checks out with his medicals, executives believe he’ll be able to land a multi-year contract.
McCarthy, 29, posted a 3.24 ERA and 73/24 K/BB ratio over 111 innings this season. He owns a 3.29 ERA dating back to the start of the 2011 season. Only 23 pitchers (min. 250 IP) have a lower ERA during the same timespan.
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 22
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 27
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 96
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (96)