Nov 24, 2012, 10:40 AM EST
The good news keeps on coming regarding Brandon McCarthy.
After McCarthy was cleared to resume baseball activities earlier this month, Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports hears that the free agent right-hander is set to start throwing next month. In other words, he will have a normal offseason just a few months removed from season-ending brain surgery. Pretty great.
This is oddly a testament to McCarthy’s progress, but Passan hears that teams are more concerned about his history of shoulder issues at this point. However, assuming everything checks out with his medicals, executives believe he’ll be able to land a multi-year contract.
McCarthy, 29, posted a 3.24 ERA and 73/24 K/BB ratio over 111 innings this season. He owns a 3.29 ERA dating back to the start of the 2011 season. Only 23 pitchers (min. 250 IP) have a lower ERA during the same timespan.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 29
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)