Nov 24, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
Brett Myers said a few weeks ago that he was open to marketing himself as a starter or reliever in free agency, but his agent, Craig Landis, told Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune that the veteran right-hander is now focused on being a starting pitcher. Makes sense in a world where Jeremy Guthrie gets three years and $25 million. Landis also confirmed that the Twins are among the teams who have expressed early interest.
“They’re interested, or perhaps even very interested,” Landis said. “And that’s about as far as we are right now.”
Twins general manager Terry Ryan would only go as far to say that he has “touched base with most of the pitchers on the market,” but Christensen was told by team insiders that Myers will be one of their primary targets because he could be reasonably-priced and would likely embrace making half of his starts in the spacious Target Field.
Myers pitched exclusively out of the bullpen this past season, posting a 3.31 ERA and 41/15 K/BB ratio over 65 1/3 innings between the Astros and White Sox. The 32-year-old has an underwhelming 4.27 ERA as a starter during his career and showed diminished velocity as a member of the Astros’ rotation back in 2011, but he could have some appeal as an innings-eater.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)