Nov 24, 2012, 8:58 AM EDT
Padres general manager Josh Byrnes admitted earlier this month that Dan Haren was among the “eight to 10” starting pitchers the club was very interested in. Bill Center of the San Diego-Union Tribune said in his weekly webchat yesterday that the Padres haven’t wavered on that, though they will likely have to wait to see if he’ll fall in their price range.
The Padres are still interested in Haren. It’s going to be a wait and see game. I’m sure the Padres have a ceiling on what they might spend for Haren. Josh Byrnes and Haren have an excellent working relationship. But this is a money game. Byrnes is playing it close to the vest. Towers and Hoyer would usually tell you how much they had to spend on free agents. Byrnes is much keener on keeping his options secret.
The Padres aren’t a realistic destination for a top starting pitcher like Zack Greinke or Anibal Sanchez, but they could make sense for a pitcher like Haren, who is coming off a down year and carries health questions. Center also notes that the team has interest in Shaun Marcum, who falls under a similar classification. The Padres are moving the fences at PETCO Park for 2013, but it should still be a pretty nice place for pitchers to reestablish their value.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 3
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 1
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)