Nov 24, 2012, 8:58 AM EST
Padres general manager Josh Byrnes admitted earlier this month that Dan Haren was among the “eight to 10” starting pitchers the club was very interested in. Bill Center of the San Diego-Union Tribune said in his weekly webchat yesterday that the Padres haven’t wavered on that, though they will likely have to wait to see if he’ll fall in their price range.
The Padres are still interested in Haren. It’s going to be a wait and see game. I’m sure the Padres have a ceiling on what they might spend for Haren. Josh Byrnes and Haren have an excellent working relationship. But this is a money game. Byrnes is playing it close to the vest. Towers and Hoyer would usually tell you how much they had to spend on free agents. Byrnes is much keener on keeping his options secret.
The Padres aren’t a realistic destination for a top starting pitcher like Zack Greinke or Anibal Sanchez, but they could make sense for a pitcher like Haren, who is coming off a down year and carries health questions. Center also notes that the team has interest in Shaun Marcum, who falls under a similar classification. The Padres are moving the fences at PETCO Park for 2013, but it should still be a pretty nice place for pitchers to reestablish their value.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 155
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 83
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (155)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)