Nov 25, 2012, 10:24 AM EDT
It sounds like Ryan Madson will soon have a team.
According to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, “things are hot” between the Angels and the free agent reliever, who is expected to be recovered from Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery by the beginning of the 2013 regular season. The Phillies had been talking to Madson about a reunion, but Anaheim is apparently willing to pay much more.
Madson missed the entire 2012 season, but he had a 2.37 ERA in 60 2/3 innings with Philadelphia in 2011 while converting 32-of-34 save opportunities. The 32-year-old right-hander owns a 3.59 career ERA.
Cincinnati paid Madson an $8.5 million salary this summer as part of a one-year agreement.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 3
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 37
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)