Nov 25, 2012, 10:24 AM EDT
It sounds like Ryan Madson will soon have a team.
According to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, “things are hot” between the Angels and the free agent reliever, who is expected to be recovered from Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery by the beginning of the 2013 regular season. The Phillies had been talking to Madson about a reunion, but Anaheim is apparently willing to pay much more.
Madson missed the entire 2012 season, but he had a 2.37 ERA in 60 2/3 innings with Philadelphia in 2011 while converting 32-of-34 save opportunities. The 32-year-old right-hander owns a 3.59 career ERA.
Cincinnati paid Madson an $8.5 million salary this summer as part of a one-year agreement.
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 0
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 17
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 42
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 20
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)