Nov 26, 2012, 12:21 PM EDT
As expected the Blue Jays have officially announced that DeMarlo Hale has left his position as Orioles third base coach to become their new bench coach and Toronto also named Chad Mottola hitting coach.
Mottola was the fifth overall pick in the 1992 draft–one spot ahead of some guy named Derek Jeter–but played just 59 games in the majors and spent 16 seasons in the minors, the last of which was 2007. After retiring Mottola worked his way up from rookie-ball to Triple-A, serving as Las Vegas’ hitting coach in the Blue Jays’ farm system this year.
Baltimore had hoped to retain Hale as third base coach, but instead he’ll join manager John Gibbons’ staff two years after interviewing to become the Blue Jays manager during a search that ultimately ended in John Farrell getting the job.
Gibbons’ staff will also include Pete Walker as pitching coach, Dwayne Murphy as first base coach, and Luis Rivera as third base coach.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 1
- The Lester trade is a win-win 73
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 139
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (139)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (119)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)