Nov 26, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Whiteside isn’t much of a hitter, batting .215 with a .608 OPS in 208 career games, but the 33-year-old has thrown out 31 percent of stolen base attempts and is more or less a prototypical backup catcher. He’s also shown signs of being a helluva linebacker and you never know when that could come in handy.
Even if the Yankees fail to re-sign Russell Martin it’s highly unlikely that Whiteside would be more than a twice-per-week starter, but he does give them a little depth at the position in the meantime.
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 6
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 50
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 86
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (101)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (88)