Nov 26, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Whiteside isn’t much of a hitter, batting .215 with a .608 OPS in 208 career games, but the 33-year-old has thrown out 31 percent of stolen base attempts and is more or less a prototypical backup catcher. He’s also shown signs of being a helluva linebacker and you never know when that could come in handy.
Even if the Yankees fail to re-sign Russell Martin it’s highly unlikely that Whiteside would be more than a twice-per-week starter, but he does give them a little depth at the position in the meantime.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)