Nov 26, 2012, 11:17 AM EDT
MLB announced this year’s postseason shares, distributing $65,363,469.22 to teams that participated in the playoffs.
By winning the World Series the Giants receive 36 percent of that money for a total of $23.5 million and the World Series-losing Tigers will divvy up 24 percent or $15.7 million.
For reaching the LCS the Cardinals and Yankees each get $7.8 million to split and the A’s, Orioles, Nationals, and Reds each get $2.1 million for participating in the LDS. Even the Rangers and Braves get to split up nearly $1 million for making (and losing) the one-game Wild Card playoff.
Each team hands out a different number of “full” and “partial” playoff shares, so the numbers vary, but here are this year’s per-player breakdowns for full shares:
Rangers – $16,999
Braves – $19,609
Athletics – $34,325
Orioles – $34,825
Nationals – $37,045
Reds – $37,865
Yankees – $115,065
Cardinals – $122,558
Tigers – $284,274
Giants – $377,002
In other words, based on the revenue MLB generated during the playoffs the Giants each get a $377,002 bonus for winning the World Series or $92,728 more than the Tigers get for losing the World Series.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)