MLB distributes $65 million in postseason shares to players

Nov 26, 2012, 11:17 AM EDT

Man-Handing-out-Money

MLB announced this year’s postseason shares, distributing $65,363,469.22 to teams that participated in the playoffs.

By winning the World Series the Giants receive 36 percent of that money for a total of $23.5 million and the World Series-losing Tigers will divvy up 24 percent or $15.7 million.

For reaching the LCS the Cardinals and Yankees each get $7.8 million to split and the A’s, Orioles, Nationals, and Reds each get $2.1 million for participating in the LDS. Even the Rangers and Braves get to split up nearly $1 million for making (and losing) the one-game Wild Card playoff.

Each team hands out a different number of “full” and “partial” playoff shares, so the numbers vary, but here are this year’s per-player breakdowns for full shares:

Rangers – $16,999
Braves – $19,609
Athletics – $34,325
Orioles – $34,825
Nationals – $37,045
Reds – $37,865
Yankees – $115,065
Cardinals – $122,558
Tigers – $284,274
Giants – $377,002

In other words, based on the revenue MLB generated during the playoffs the Giants each get a $377,002 bonus for winning the World Series or $92,728 more than the Tigers get for losing the World Series.

1. El Bravo - Nov 26, 2012 at 11:27 AM

I hate my low-budget life :(

• ajcardsfan - Nov 27, 2012 at 9:36 AM

The sad part is, most of them probably look at the bonus and scoff. I look at the Ranger’s pay and see 1/3 of my student loans gone. Not sure which I’m sadder about, them probably scoffing that money or that $17k only covers a 1/3 of my loans…

2. shynessismyelguapo - Nov 26, 2012 at 11:28 AM

I watched the entire train wreck that was the last four games of the NLCS. I deserve more of that playoff share than any of the Cardinals players.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 26, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Since you weren’t the only how do you propose to divide that money between all Cardinals fans? $10 bucks each?

• historiophiliac - Nov 26, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Free hot dog night! (1 per customer)

• umrguy42 - Nov 26, 2012 at 4:20 PM

I’ll take $10.

3. stex52 - Nov 26, 2012 at 12:39 PM

That plus the teams tripling prices for home playoff games plus feeding the players fund plus special “championship” memorabilia plus marketing for next years season tickets. It’s huge bucks to make the playoffs. That’s why teams are willing to go with insane player contracts to “just get over the top.”

4. jonirocit - Nov 26, 2012 at 12:43 PM

It should be winner takes all

5. drunkenhooliganism - Nov 26, 2012 at 12:53 PM

According to the numbers given, that means that about 62 full shares are given to the tigers. How do that many people get shares? Knowing that many get partial shares, that seems to mean that about 100 people are sharing in this bounty.

Even if everyone who took the field for the Giants (baseball-reference shows 45 players) gets a full share, that leaves 17 other full shares out there? Why do I think Jeffrey Loria gets a taste of this?

• heyblueyoustink - Nov 26, 2012 at 1:26 PM

The Managers and their staff maybe, the mascot, ball girls and boys and old men, grounds crew maybe.

6. raysfan1 - Nov 26, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Just to stir the pot a bit–Melky Cabrera gets a full share, last I heard, so that’s a nice extra $377K for him despite being caught cheating, etc. Let the gnashing of teeth begin.

• bh192012 - Nov 26, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Feel free to save some of that gnashing for Guillermo Mota, he failed his second test this year also with the Giants. I find it interesting that he landed on the post season roster but Melky didn’t. I guess they only get mad at you when you get caught the first time.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 26, 2012 at 3:04 PM

I guess it must be one of those “fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me” things…

7. clydeserra - Nov 26, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Jonny Gomes:

• natstowngreg - Nov 26, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Outstanding.

8. umrguy42 - Nov 26, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Out of curiosity, why do the Cardinals get $7.5K more per full share than the Yankees? Is this a “how many games were played” kinda deal, or what? And if so, why is there a disparity in the Rangers’ and Braves’ amounts?

• tommyshih - Nov 26, 2012 at 4:39 PM

The Braves had to play on a larger infield.

• gloccamorra - Nov 27, 2012 at 12:59 PM

That’s the Braves’ fault, for moving first base an extra two feet, a half step, away from home plate so their infielders could throw runners out. They shouldn’t be rewarded for that – in fact, they may have broken a rule there…

• natstowngreg - Nov 26, 2012 at 6:59 PM

The amount of each share depends on how many shares there are. The Yankees and Cards had different numbers of shares.

For example, Adam Kilgore explains how the Nats’ money was divvied up. It does include coaches, trainers, clubhouse guys, and other non-playing personnel. The players decide these things.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4860)