Nolan Ryan is writing a cookbook

Nov 26, 2012, 1:13 PM EDT

George W. Bush, Nolan Ryan

When people think of Nolan Ryan the first thing that always comes to mind is his prowess as a chef and now the Hall of Famer is writing a cookbook:

The game’s all-time strikeout king is also a longtime Texas rancher and has compiled dozens of his favorite recipes for “The Nolan Ryan Beef Cookbook.” Little, Brown and Co. announced Monday that the book is scheduled for May 2014.

The 65-year-old Ryan also plans to work in a few baseball stories, from his years pitching for the New York Mets, California Angels and other teams to his current job as CEO and president of the Texas Rangers. His previous books include the memoirs “Miracle Man” and “Throwing Heat.”

I’m also looking forward to Gordon Ramsay’s upcoming book on pitching.

1. proudlycanadian - Nov 26, 2012 at 1:17 PM

I suspect that we will have to wait a long time for that Gordon Ramsay book on pitching. He might have difficulty getting a publisher.

• Old Gator - Nov 26, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Maybe, but I’m sure he got some great recipes for French…heh heh, sorry, I mean Freedom Fried and cluster-shredded civilians – you know, ropa vieja Iraq-style – from his war criminal buddy sitting next to him.

• historiophiliac - Nov 26, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Don’t forget the Victory cabbage!

• crisisjunky - Nov 26, 2012 at 2:10 PM

See Nolan, Ah got these realla cool x-ray glasses from the C.I.A., ‘n you can see
        right thru all kinsa stuff. Check out that gal up in 241!

• Old Gator - Nov 26, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Hey, I see my comments really brought out the collateral damage fans. Way to go.

• historiophiliac - Nov 26, 2012 at 4:36 PM

What’s collateral damage?

• majmayhem - Nov 26, 2012 at 5:50 PM

“I’ll show you collateral damage.” -Schwarzenegger

2. temporarilyexiled - Nov 26, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Judging by the company he keeps, will there be a recipe for mock quail?

3. shynessismyelguapo - Nov 26, 2012 at 1:46 PM

I have a feeling all the recipe’s will be really great and all, but still extremely overrated.

4. barroomhero80 - Nov 26, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Slow news day

• shynessismyelguapo - Nov 26, 2012 at 2:28 PM

A thumbs down for the comment AND another thumbs down for naming yourself after a Dropkick Murphy’s song that glorifies dying in barroom fights. BOOO!!!!

The post-Holiday work day is a bitter one…

5. historiophiliac - Nov 26, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Seriously, how many beef books do we need?

• Old Gator - Nov 26, 2012 at 4:06 PM

The only cooking guide worth reading is Jim Harrison’s The Raw and the Cooked. It’s my culinary Necronomicon. What other foodie book do you know of that begins with a gout attack?

Here: http://www.amazon.com/Raw-Cooked-Adventures-Roving-Gourmand/dp/080213937X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353963896&sr=1-1&keywords=Harrison+Raw+and+Cooked

You never read an eats and drinks book like this one before, and you never will again.

Unless I write it.

Which I might.

After I finish…..

• stex52 - Nov 26, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Gee, is it really cynical for me to point out that he sells a butchered beef brand in Texas and he might (perhaps, could be, really) be trying to trade on his celebrity to move a little more steak??

Nah!!!!!!!

6. b453841l - Nov 26, 2012 at 1:59 PM

He only cooks with gas–always on high heat.

7. crisisjunky - Nov 26, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Knuckles Ventura.

• cur68 - Nov 26, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Dang. You got to this before me. Dang you to heck, sir (and a tip of the hat).

8. beefytrout - Nov 26, 2012 at 2:46 PM

If this cookbook doesn’t include snow monkey kabobs, then it is a massive fail.

9. antlerclaws - Nov 26, 2012 at 2:52 PM

I’ve got an unopened bottle of Nolan Ryan Steak Sauce I bought a dozen or so years ago. It’s on display right next to my Kinky Friedman BBQ Sauce.

10. losangelesfan - Nov 26, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Now I see why he needed a bypass. This would be like buying a Krusty The Klown cookbook.

Yes, this is a clown post, bro. I thought I’d get that out of the way.

11. joewilliesshnoz - Nov 26, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Don’t look now, but Dick Cheney is shooting – up some GAME for it’s release .

• Old Gator - Nov 26, 2012 at 6:24 PM

And if he bags another lawyer in the process, who’s gonna complain?

• manchestermiracle - Nov 26, 2012 at 9:18 PM

But will there be a recipe for that, too? Sorry, I don’t think even my dogs will eat that….

12. westcoastredbird - Nov 26, 2012 at 9:10 PM

I just know he’s going to include that Amarillo classic 72 oz Texas King steak with the sides.

13. jimeejohnson - Nov 27, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Hope Nolan’s smarter than that little douchebag sitting next to him. That guy’s an ignoramus first class.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet