Nov 26, 2012, 8:06 AM EDT
We can make all the jokes we want about the Dodgers signing everyone and making the mid-2000s Yankees look like misers and all that jazz, but they won’t care. Why? Because their TV deal is going to be bonkers, it seems. Bill Shaikin reports:
Fox Sports could pay at least $6 billion to retain the Dodgers’ television rights, three parties familiar with the negotiations said Sunday. The deal could be worth three times what the Dodgers’ new owners paid for the team and almost 20 times the value of the Dodgers’ current television contract.
Perspective: the Dodgers currently rake in about $29 million a year in local TV money. This deal would bring them about $240 million a year, on average, over the life of the deal. In other words, with just the increase in TV revenue, they could add, like, eight A-Rods to the roster. So, no, when they sign Zack Greinke, you need not shed a tear for their financial well being.
Fox, on the other hand, maybe worry about them. Because these rights deals are getting insane and eventually the bubble is going to burst, right? And some network is going to have … um, whatever goo makes up TV rights bubbles splash all over them. Perhaps it’s a soapy mixture of some kind. Comes with a wand.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 0
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 27
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 4
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 101
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)