Nov 26, 2012, 11:49 AM EST
Once upon a time Jeff Clement was a top prospect in the Mariners’ farm system, but the No. 3 overall pick in the 2005 draft has spent most of the past six seasons at Triple-A and the 29-year-old catcher/first baseman has signed a minor-league contract with the Twins.
Clement got just 24 plate appearances for the Pirates this year and has a grand total of 421 plate appearances as a big leaguer, hitting .218 with 14 homers and a .648 OPS. And his bat was supposed to be Clement’s strength, as the Mariners and Pirates both determined that he wasn’t good enough defensively to catch regularly.
Clement has consistently fared well at Triple-A, batting .280 with an .852 OPS in 535 total games there and posting similar numbers in 2012, but for a 29-year-old with limited defensive value that’s certainly not particularly impressive production. He’ll compete for a spot on Minnesota’s bench during spring training, but figures to begin the season in Rochester.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)