A’s donate full postseason share worth $34,325 to charity

Nov 27, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT

jonny gomes getty Getty Images

I wrote yesterday about MLB distributing $65 million in postseason shares to teams that participated in the playoffs and the A’s decided to do something very nice with part of their $2.1 million allotment.

Each “full share” for an A’s player equaled $34,325 and at the urging of Jonny Gomes–who has since signed with the Red Sox–they decided to donate one full share to charity.

Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle has the details:

1. natslady - Nov 27, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Outstanding! If I ever said a mean thing about Gomes (which I probably did…) I take it back right now!

• dickclydesdale - Nov 27, 2012 at 1:52 PM

I bet the clubhouse workers are pissed. They clean the dirt of these players shoes. Give them the playoff share!

• clydeserra - Nov 27, 2012 at 2:35 PM

I don’t know how it works, but I do know that at least in 2010, the giants groundskeepers all got world series money.

• cur68 - Nov 27, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Uh, I know I’ve said crap about Gomer (there I go again, in fact). I also take it all back. Tip of the BeaverMen hat to Jonny Gomes.

• historiophiliac - Nov 27, 2012 at 4:30 PM

What makes you think he wants a tip of the hat from a cowardly rascal that uses trees as collateral damage to take out his enemy?

2. kkolchak - Nov 27, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Nice gesture. Way to go, A’s.

3. leeeroooyjeeenkiiins - Nov 27, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Really awesome story. Not at all surprised it was Johnny Gomes who came up with it either. As a Rays fan I’ll always have a soft spot for him, even in a Boston uniform.

4. ninakuhl - Nov 27, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Wow. I was thinking after this season they would rename the Mendoza line to the Russell Martin line…

5. mt99808 - Nov 27, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Big f’ing deal. This is the equivelant of someone making $50,000 a year donating their $350 bonus. And even that isn’t even comparable because the person making $50,000 needs that $350 for non luxurious day to day living expenses.

• jlovenotjlo - Nov 27, 2012 at 11:06 PM

No. Assuming this example player is making the league minimum, you’re missing a zero on that 350 dollar bonus for the guy making 50,000. It’d be 3500, and that is a big of change. You’re bitter

• hockeyflow33 - Nov 28, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Could you be a bigger dooshbag?

6. sedettiger - Nov 27, 2012 at 4:50 PM

I’m sure the young guys making the league minimum were thrilled about this.

• rmcd13 - Nov 27, 2012 at 5:18 PM

The league minimum is $500,000. I think they are fine with it.

• clydeserra - Nov 27, 2012 at 5:57 PM

YEAH BIG DEAL!!! I mean people that make over $400,000 are always volunteering to pay 4% more on all their income over $250,000!

7. dunkindan - Nov 27, 2012 at 5:45 PM

They donated 34,000 of 2.1 million . Now they only have 2.07 million . still plenty of money for the young callups.

8. jlovenotjlo - Nov 27, 2012 at 11:02 PM

You gotta love these guys!

And c’mon you killjoys, that is a lot of money. Those guys making 500k-2mil definitely dug deep, as they are paying 9% California income tax in addition to the 33% they’re already paying federal. I tell ya, its tough.

9. blacksables - Nov 28, 2012 at 8:20 AM

The average major league salary is $1,000,000 (or close to).

$34,325 is 3.4% of that.

And the end of the year, I’m supposed to get a bonus.

3.4% of my bonus will be $85.81.

I will gladly dontate that to charity if I get the same write-up, platitudes, and acknowlegdments of being such a superior persion that the players are receiving for this.

Also, that $34,325 is only 1.6& of the $2.1 the team recieved. Going by the same logic, that would reduce my contribution to $40.86. But I’ll willingly round it up to $50, just to show what a great guy I am for all the free press I’ll get.

It was a nice gesture. But that’s all it was. Giving the equivalent of a night on the town doesn’t qualify anyone for sainthood. It just gets them a lot of free press.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2471)