Nov 27, 2012, 11:51 AM EST
Friday is the deadline for teams to tender contracts to arbitration-eligible players and Wilson seems all but certain to be non-tendered by the Giants after being paid $8.5 million in 2012.
Under the terms of the collective bargaining agreement the least Wilson could make in 2013 if offered arbitration by the Giants is $6.8 million–a 20 percent pay cut from $8.5 million–but according to Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle the Giants have no interest in guaranteeing him that much money.
According to Schulman the Giants would still like to sign Wilson for a lesser salary, but the two sides “are not exactly seeing eye to eye” in negotiations and if they can’t work something out by Friday he’ll become a free agent.
It makes little sense for the Giants to commit $6.8 million or more to Wilson considering he’s such a huge question mark at age 31. Even setting aside his uncertain health status few relief pitchers are worth that much of a commitment in the first place and the Royals just made a similar decision in declining their $8 million option on Joakim Soria after Tommy John surgery cost him the whole season.
Based on Schulman’s report it sounds like Wilson might turn down a lesser salary from the Giants based partly on hurt feelings, but the odds of him snagging even $5 million in guaranteed money for 2013 on the open market seem pretty long.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)