Nov 27, 2012, 10:47 AM EST
Feldman became a free agent when the Rangers declined his $9.25 million option for 2013. Texas was hesitant to stick with Feldman in the rotation even after a bunch of injuries depleted the starting pitching depth and his 5.09 ERA was ugly, but his secondary numbers were much stronger and included a 96/32 K/BB ratio in 124 innings.
Chicago previously signed Scott Baker to a one-year, $5.5 million deal with $1.5 million in incentives, so clearly Theo Epstein and company decided to strike quickly with mid-level targets and try to find some (relative) bargains with a little upside. In a market where Jeremy Guthrie got $25 million for three years committing $11.5 million to a pair of potential mid-rotation starters seems like a sound plan.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 71
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)