Nov 27, 2012, 11:02 AM EST
In the wake of Marvin Miller’s death, the overwhelming sentiment among baseball writers on Twitter is that it is a shame that he was never inducted into the Hall of Fame. That the Hall disgraced itself in never voting Miller in and, now that he is dead and can never know the honor in life, it is doubly disgraceful. I agree with that sentiment 100%.
I wonder, however, if some of these same writers who believe that the Hall has disgraced itself will still take the position that voting in PED users like Bonds, Clemens and the rest will somehow sully the place.
Which isn’t to say that you can’t still vote against these guys if you want to. Of course you can. Just don’t claim that you are obligated to do so in order to “protect” the Hall of Fame from some new and unique stain. It’s been stained repeatedly throughout the years through any number of questionable and disgraceful inclusions and omissions. Compared to keeping Marvin Miller out and letting in people like Tom Yawkey in, allowing an additional PED user — for there are surely some in there already — is not gonna hurt the place.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 22
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)