Nov 27, 2012, 11:02 AM EDT
In the wake of Marvin Miller’s death, the overwhelming sentiment among baseball writers on Twitter is that it is a shame that he was never inducted into the Hall of Fame. That the Hall disgraced itself in never voting Miller in and, now that he is dead and can never know the honor in life, it is doubly disgraceful. I agree with that sentiment 100%.
I wonder, however, if some of these same writers who believe that the Hall has disgraced itself will still take the position that voting in PED users like Bonds, Clemens and the rest will somehow sully the place.
Which isn’t to say that you can’t still vote against these guys if you want to. Of course you can. Just don’t claim that you are obligated to do so in order to “protect” the Hall of Fame from some new and unique stain. It’s been stained repeatedly throughout the years through any number of questionable and disgraceful inclusions and omissions. Compared to keeping Marvin Miller out and letting in people like Tom Yawkey in, allowing an additional PED user — for there are surely some in there already — is not gonna hurt the place.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Two homers, two games in a row and five in his last four games.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
He won’t be closing this time.
Jul 29, 2015, 9:55 AM EDT
Jul 29, 2015, 9:37 AM EDT
And why on Earth did Bobby Cox wear a cup for every game? What was he possibly expecting?
Jul 29, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT
Saves = money for relief pitchers and Storen is gonna get a lot fewer saves now.
Jul 29, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
Reached base five times too.
Jul 29, 2015, 7:28 AM EDT
Your mileage may vary, but for my money the ugliest game of the year happened last night.
Jul 28, 2015, 11:22 PM EDT
Alvarez served as the Marlins’ Opening Day starter …
Jul 28, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
Red Sox center fielder Mookie Betts tracked down a hardly hit ball from White Sox slugger Jose Abreu on Tuesday night but lost it when he fell into the bullpen …
Jul 28, 2015, 9:32 PM EDT
Martinez was inducted into the Hall of Fame on Sunday.
Jul 28, 2015, 8:40 PM EDT
Hamels would join Dallas Keuchel and Scott Kazmir in an excellent, postseason-ready Astros rotation.
Jul 28, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
Angels center fielder Mike Trout went 4-for-4 with two homers and five RBI in Sunday’s series finale against the Rangers, but he also suffered a left wrist injury in that game when he tried to make a diving catch …
Jul 28, 2015, 6:54 PM EDT
In a span of about 10 minutes the Angels landed two outfielders …
Jul 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
This time it’s for both Stanozolol and Boldenone.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:16 PM EDT
Papelbon owns a sparkling 1.59 ERA and 40/8 K/BB ratio in 39 2/3 innings this season for the Phillies, and he’s 17-for-17 in save opportunities.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Voters who are more than 10 years removed from covering the game will no longer get to vote in Hall of Fame elections
Jul 28, 2015, 4:17 PM EDT
Hamels threw a no-hitter against Cubs on Saturday.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT
The Nats may soon have two solid closers.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
And he thinks Carlos Gonzalez is the next one out the door. He’s probably right.
Jul 28, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
Designated for assignment by the Giants last week.
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 27
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 46
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 64
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 76
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 94
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)