Nov 27, 2012, 11:02 AM EDT
In the wake of Marvin Miller’s death, the overwhelming sentiment among baseball writers on Twitter is that it is a shame that he was never inducted into the Hall of Fame. That the Hall disgraced itself in never voting Miller in and, now that he is dead and can never know the honor in life, it is doubly disgraceful. I agree with that sentiment 100%.
I wonder, however, if some of these same writers who believe that the Hall has disgraced itself will still take the position that voting in PED users like Bonds, Clemens and the rest will somehow sully the place.
Which isn’t to say that you can’t still vote against these guys if you want to. Of course you can. Just don’t claim that you are obligated to do so in order to “protect” the Hall of Fame from some new and unique stain. It’s been stained repeatedly throughout the years through any number of questionable and disgraceful inclusions and omissions. Compared to keeping Marvin Miller out and letting in people like Tom Yawkey in, allowing an additional PED user — for there are surely some in there already — is not gonna hurt the place.
Apr 21, 2015, 12:40 AM EDT
The future is now in Chicago.
Apr 20, 2015, 11:01 PM EDT
Padres right-hander Ian Kennedy landed on the disabled list after exiting his season debut on April 9 with a mild left hamstring strain, but he’s on track to return Saturday against the Dodgers.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:35 PM EDT
Things are quickly going from bad to worse for the Brewers.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:06 PM EDT
This from Reds manager Bryan Price is not a good look at all.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:49 PM EDT
Tonight’s Cubs-Pirates game was delayed for 23 minutes after a woman was hit in the back of the head by a foul ball in the top of the second inning.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:35 PM EDT
The Rockies are calling him day-to-day.
Apr 20, 2015, 8:55 PM EDT
Ben Zobrist left Sunday’s game due to left knee soreness and he’s now slated to miss at least another couple of days after receiving a cortisone shot.
Apr 20, 2015, 7:29 PM EDT
Tigers right-hander Justin Verlander had to cut a simulated game short last Wednesday and he’s currently in shutdown mode due to continued soreness in his throwing arm.
Apr 20, 2015, 6:21 PM EDT
The Mets won their eighth straight game Sunday against the Marlins to improve to 10-3 on the year, but it came as a cost, as catcher Travis d’Arnaud and left-handed reliever Jerry Blevins were forced to leave the game due to injuries. Today we learned a little bit more about how long they’ll be sidelined.
Apr 20, 2015, 4:50 PM EDT
It’s been a facility in flux since the Dodgers left in 2008, but it has a new life under new management.
Apr 20, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
It was bad enough that he needed stitches.
Apr 20, 2015, 2:22 PM EDT
Last season he threw 184 innings with a 4.11 ERA and 139/67 K/BB ratio.
Apr 20, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
And he actually owns up to taking stuff. None of that “I have no idea how that got in my system” rebop from him.
Apr 20, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
People from El Paso are still mad about that. Oh well.
Apr 20, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
Allen Craig replaced him in left field against the Orioles.
Apr 20, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
Beachy is 28 years old with a 3.23 ERA and 275 strikeouts in 268 career innings.
Apr 20, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT
The greatest trick baseball columnists ever pulled was convincing the world that the way they frame a topic is the only way to approach the topic.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
“You can’t do anything to fix it.”
Apr 20, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
His health is a huge key to the Angels’ success this season.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 5
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 8
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 8
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 41
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (109)