Nov 27, 2012, 10:02 PM EDT
Jeff Keppinger is not the only free agent who is recovering from unexpected offseason ankle surgery.
Young is fully expected to recovered by the beginning of spring training next February, so the surgery shouldn’t have too significant of an effect on the years and dollars that he ultimately signs for.
The 27-year-old batted .267/.296/.411 with 18 home runs and 74 RBI in 608 plate appearances this past season for the Tigers. He also went 15-for-58 with three home runs and nine RBI in 13 postseason games.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)