Evan Longoria had hamstring surgery last week

Nov 27, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT

evan longoria ap AP

Lost in the news of Evan Longoria‘s six-year, $100 million extension is that the Rays third baseman underwent surgery last week to “clean up” his left hamstring after missing more than half of the season with a partial tear.

“With the time we had there’s no doubt that I’d be able to recover and be at 100 percent or close to by spring training,” Longoria said, via Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times.

Of course, Longoria was initially expected to miss 6-8 weeks with the partially torn hamstring and ended up playing just 74 total games, so his “no doubt” might have a little doubt.

According to Topkin the surgery removed scar tissue and took place “in Texas by hamstring specialist Dr. Daniel Cooper.”

1. Jeremiah Graves - Nov 27, 2012 at 10:24 AM

I really hope for Longoria’s sake and for the Rays’ sake that he can get healthy and stay healthy long-term. He’s missed a lot of time in his short career and I’d hate for him to be one of those guys who falls into the Chipper Jones/Scott Rolen mode where they are legit monsters when healthy, but they can never stay on the field for 150+ games.

I mean, Chipper is probably a no-doubt Hall of Famer, Rolen would be a serious push at this point (in my opinion)…but if they’d both been able to stay healthy and avoid injuries, I think you’d have two first-ballot guys without any question. I was getting worried about Wright and Zimmerman falling into that same category too, so it was good to see them both stay mostly healthy this season as well.

• Chris Fiorentino - Nov 27, 2012 at 10:31 AM

You are off with regards to Chipper. He played 8 full seasons before he started to get injury-prone. And even when he did get injury-prone, he still averaged 122 games a season during his last nine seasons.

We are talking about a guy here who has played over 150 games twice in 5 seasons and missed 88 games last year. And THEN he had hamstring surgery.

The extension he received yesterday, which doesn’t even start for 4 seasons and was completely unnecessary, is looking worse and worse every day.

• Jeremiah Graves - Nov 27, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I guess if nothing else, that helps speak to the longevity of Chipper’s career (or my delusional youth) when what I remember most is the injury-plagued years. I think it’s also a perception thing, he’s one of those guys where unless you followed the Braves closely, the bulk of what you remember hearing was the “he’s injured again” type of news and that’s the one that sticks with you. I think a lot of guys fall into that trap of perceived injury risks. I know since moving to Boston, Jacoby Ellsbury gets that rap a lot out here, but both of his injuries were complete flukes (a) collision w/ Beltre and b) should gets jacked up sliding into 2B).

• indaburg - Nov 27, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I was aware of the hamstring “procedure” yesterday thanks to the guys on MLBN and I still think it’s a good deal. Longoria last year tried to come back too soon, further aggravating the hamstring. That’s why he ended up missing so much time. I trust our front office. They’re not in the habit of throwing money away. I love sabermetrics, data, and analysis, but sometimes, you just gotta have a little faith.

2. tbbucs621 - Nov 27, 2012 at 11:23 AM

The Evan signing is the best thing that could have happened for my team the Rays. As a fan I think we needed a long term face of the team and being serious about long term investments. The next piece is signing David Price long term. The Rays in 2 years will have plenty of money as we will get a new TV contract and even tho the attendance is down the ratings are huge. Plus this helps us get a new stadium and hoping it will be off I4 and Orient Road next to the Hard Rock. This would be awesome and would bring loads of people in from the casino.

• Chris Fiorentino - Nov 27, 2012 at 11:29 AM

So no worries about the whole missing 88 games last year and recent hamstring surgery? Or the fact that this extension begins at his age 32 season?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4933)