Nov 27, 2012, 4:31 PM EDT
Adding to our list of favorite expressions from the offseason hot stove reports: “friends of [player] say …”
Which, by the way, I think it totally legit. Just often incomplete. Friends often know stuff. But how close are these friends? Is the player one of those guys with a close circle of trusted comrades, or a party guy with a hundred friends? Do Internet friends count? So many questions.
Friends of Cody Ross believe BOS is in the lead in his neg. on 3-year deal. But sources say there haven’t been new talks in last few days.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) November 27, 2012
Also, are there ever implied air quotes? Because “friends” of Cody Ross is totally different than “friends of Cody Ross.” I dunno. Just asking.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)