Nov 27, 2012, 4:31 PM EST
Adding to our list of favorite expressions from the offseason hot stove reports: “friends of [player] say …”
Which, by the way, I think it totally legit. Just often incomplete. Friends often know stuff. But how close are these friends? Is the player one of those guys with a close circle of trusted comrades, or a party guy with a hundred friends? Do Internet friends count? So many questions.
Friends of Cody Ross believe BOS is in the lead in his neg. on 3-year deal. But sources say there haven’t been new talks in last few days.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) November 27, 2012
Also, are there ever implied air quotes? Because “friends” of Cody Ross is totally different than “friends of Cody Ross.” I dunno. Just asking.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)