Nov 27, 2012, 4:31 PM EST
Adding to our list of favorite expressions from the offseason hot stove reports: “friends of [player] say …”
Which, by the way, I think it totally legit. Just often incomplete. Friends often know stuff. But how close are these friends? Is the player one of those guys with a close circle of trusted comrades, or a party guy with a hundred friends? Do Internet friends count? So many questions.
Friends of Cody Ross believe BOS is in the lead in his neg. on 3-year deal. But sources say there haven’t been new talks in last few days.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) November 27, 2012
Also, are there ever implied air quotes? Because “friends” of Cody Ross is totally different than “friends of Cody Ross.” I dunno. Just asking.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 11
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 74
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)