Nov 27, 2012, 4:31 PM EDT
Adding to our list of favorite expressions from the offseason hot stove reports: “friends of [player] say …”
Which, by the way, I think it totally legit. Just often incomplete. Friends often know stuff. But how close are these friends? Is the player one of those guys with a close circle of trusted comrades, or a party guy with a hundred friends? Do Internet friends count? So many questions.
Friends of Cody Ross believe BOS is in the lead in his neg. on 3-year deal. But sources say there haven’t been new talks in last few days.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) November 27, 2012
Also, are there ever implied air quotes? Because “friends” of Cody Ross is totally different than “friends of Cody Ross.” I dunno. Just asking.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)