Russell Martin wants $9-10 million a year over four years

Nov 27, 2012, 1:02 PM EST

Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York has a source telling him what Russell Martin‘s contract demands are:

$10 million is what Curtis Granderson and Hiroki Kuroda made this past season. With the Rangers, Mariners, Pirates and Red Sox all reportedly in the mix, you’d think that someone would give him something close to that in average annual value, even if they aren’t willing to go four years on a catcher.

1. historiophiliac - Nov 27, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Woops, and the Braves already locked up Gerald Laird.

2. henryd3rd - Nov 27, 2012 at 1:17 PM

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is this man crazy or is he on drugs? The Yankees lost with you and they can lose without you. Good Bye!

3. pisano - Nov 27, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Move on Russell, you’ll never get that kind of money for a .211 BA. I don’t think any team would give you that, let alone the Yankees. Aim high Russell, it’s been nice knowing ya!

• uyf1950 - Nov 27, 2012 at 2:36 PM

My friend, I know the Yankees won’t give him 4 years. In fact I’m hoping the Yankees pass on him altogether. But the sad part is he will find some team to give him at least 3 years and probably $8 or $9MM to go with it. Just keeping my fingers crossed that it isn’t the Yankees.

• pisano - Nov 27, 2012 at 5:20 PM

uyf1950… I couldn’t agree more, the sad part is he was under the Mendoza line for five months of the season, he got hot in Sept to get to .211, so that shows how bad he was throughout the season. I hope they don’t bring him back, as a matter of fact he has a lot of balls asking for that kind of a contract. Good riddance.

4. coryfor3 - Nov 27, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Am I missing something as far as why he is a coveted FA? His BA is bad and so is his OBP. His power is nothing. His best years were years ago. He is the offensive equivalent of a back up catcher. Whatev.

5. homelanddefense - Nov 27, 2012 at 1:38 PM

maybe four years for 9 million total. But even then that contract is too long.

6. bostonboy82 - Nov 27, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Smoke another one Russ.

7. randygnyc - Nov 27, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I’m not going to use the word greedy, because you can’t blame anyone for trying to maximize their income. No, the word I’m looking for is……..delusional.

8. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Nov 27, 2012 at 1:44 PM

You can’t fault anyone for asking the moon at the outset of negotiations. And MLB teams have been proven to have at least one owner/GM crazy enough to do just about anything.

9. stex52 - Nov 27, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Based on WAR, 5-7 MM$ doesn’t look too bad. He has power and he is good defensively. As to number of years, I would have to know why he missed more games the last two years. Is he wearing out or did he have minor injuries (I didn’t pay much attention to the Yankees). But I could see three years, 6 MM$ each without too much trouble.

10. mrobinson14 - Nov 27, 2012 at 1:57 PM

I’m going to bet on Mariners. Napoli will go to the Sox, along with swisher.

• uyf1950 - Nov 27, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Swisher’s going to get 4 years and $12 to $15MM per from some team. I just don’t think it’s the Red Sox. John Henry’s gonna save a good chunk of that money they got from dumping the contracts of Gonzalez, Crawford and Beckett. He needs to replenish his personal finances since his investment Company folded and lost all the that money for their investors.

• protius - Nov 28, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Swisher won’t be going to the Red Sox for any amount of money. I believe he mentioned something about the instability of the club, and the rebuilding process just isn’t his thing.

Nick is dudish and therefore, more of a fit in San Fran, LA or San Diego.

11. psousa1 - Nov 27, 2012 at 2:32 PM

I thought MLB had a drug testing policy

12. cackalackyank - Nov 27, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Yeah, Russell keep dreaming. IF the Yankees had no catchers with MLB experience around that might be a slight possibility, but Stewart seems OK and Cervelli is too. Add the possibile development of Austin Romine and a couple other prospects, there’s just no way your are getting the years and you are NOT worth those $.

13. joewilliesshnoz - Nov 27, 2012 at 4:35 PM

3 yrs. and an option, at 5.5 per, if he’s lucky .

14. pisano - Nov 27, 2012 at 5:25 PM

With all the post thus far on Martin, I think we all agree that with his contract demands he should be first in line for a drug test.

• protius - Nov 28, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Apparently, he has been first in line at the free samples window at the medical marijuana clinic on a number of occasions.

15. downhillrider - Nov 27, 2012 at 5:36 PM

2 years at $4-5 million per year would be at the high side for him. And that’s purely for his ability to handle the pitching staff.

16. mojosmagic - Nov 27, 2012 at 7:57 PM

This is what the game has become, a guy hits 204 and wants a 40M deal.

17. sportsnut101 - Nov 28, 2012 at 12:12 AM

First yr with yanks great. 2nd yr was awful now he wants 4 more at all star money for non all star player. If he failed a drug test recently I know why he asked for this amount

Yanks make offer of 1yr 8 mill with team option for 8 otherwise see ya

18. denny65 - Nov 28, 2012 at 4:11 AM

Let us hope the Mariners have better sense than to offer this guy a multi-year deal, at any price. Can GM Jack Z have forgotten the Chone Figgins embarrassment so quickly?

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5189)