Nov 27, 2012, 7:25 AM EDT
Jon Heyman reports that Ryan Madson are close to signing a deal. It would be for one year. Heyman says that Madson would become the Angels closer, and that Ernesto Frieri would set up. The financial terms are not yet known.
Madson missed the entire 2012 season after undergoing Tommy John surgery. In 2011 he posted a 2.37 ERA in 60 and two-thirds innings for Philly, saving 32 games. The Angels are taking a bit of a gamble on Madson by making him their closer — command often lags arm strength for members of the Tommy John Alumni Society — but with Frieri around, the risk is less than it might be for many teams.
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)