Nov 27, 2012, 7:25 AM EST
Jon Heyman reports that Ryan Madson are close to signing a deal. It would be for one year. Heyman says that Madson would become the Angels closer, and that Ernesto Frieri would set up. The financial terms are not yet known.
Madson missed the entire 2012 season after undergoing Tommy John surgery. In 2011 he posted a 2.37 ERA in 60 and two-thirds innings for Philly, saving 32 games. The Angels are taking a bit of a gamble on Madson by making him their closer — command often lags arm strength for members of the Tommy John Alumni Society — but with Frieri around, the risk is less than it might be for many teams.
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 51
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24