Nov 27, 2012, 7:25 AM EST
Jon Heyman reports that Ryan Madson are close to signing a deal. It would be for one year. Heyman says that Madson would become the Angels closer, and that Ernesto Frieri would set up. The financial terms are not yet known.
Madson missed the entire 2012 season after undergoing Tommy John surgery. In 2011 he posted a 2.37 ERA in 60 and two-thirds innings for Philly, saving 32 games. The Angels are taking a bit of a gamble on Madson by making him their closer — command often lags arm strength for members of the Tommy John Alumni Society — but with Frieri around, the risk is less than it might be for many teams.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 32
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 377
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (377)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)