Nov 27, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
This morning we heard that the Mets had offered David Wright a six-year, $100 million deal to David Wright, which most agree will not get the job done. Andy Martino reports that they’re quickly correcting:
Can now report Mets have made Wright a 7 year offer well in excess of $100 mil, according to industry sources. Negotiations in process.
— Andy Martino (@SurfingTheMets) November 27, 2012
Probably a good lesson in here: players and teams will leak negotiating terms in an effort to further their interests. Someone with Wright likely leaked the $100 million offer in order to shame the Mets. Then, as soon as that hit this morning, the Mets leaked their most recent offer in order to shame Wright or look less shamed themselves or whatever.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 10
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 156
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39