Nov 27, 2012, 3:31 PM EDT
UPDATE: Rosenthal has corrected that initial report. The $125-150 million figure was over the next eight years, which includes his 2013 option which pays him $16 million. The new money in the seven-year extension is between $119-129 million.
That still doesn’t match up all perfectly, but it seems like the idea is not to tear up the 2013 option and give him seven years at $18-21 million, but to add seven years on to the back of it at $17-18 million a season. Not an insignificant difference.
3:31 PM: To say that the David Wright story has changed since all work up this morning is a bit of an understatement. The latest:
Told #Mets‘ offer of extension to Wright yesterday was 6 yrs./$100M. Source today says team offering 7 yrs. between $125M and $150M.
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) November 27, 2012
Hold out for a couple more hours, David! You’ll get 40% ownership in the team!
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (106)