Nov 27, 2012, 3:31 PM EDT
UPDATE: Rosenthal has corrected that initial report. The $125-150 million figure was over the next eight years, which includes his 2013 option which pays him $16 million. The new money in the seven-year extension is between $119-129 million.
That still doesn’t match up all perfectly, but it seems like the idea is not to tear up the 2013 option and give him seven years at $18-21 million, but to add seven years on to the back of it at $17-18 million a season. Not an insignificant difference.
3:31 PM: To say that the David Wright story has changed since all work up this morning is a bit of an understatement. The latest:
Told #Mets‘ offer of extension to Wright yesterday was 6 yrs./$100M. Source today says team offering 7 yrs. between $125M and $150M.
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) November 27, 2012
Hold out for a couple more hours, David! You’ll get 40% ownership in the team!
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17