Nov 27, 2012, 9:51 AM EST
Ken Rosenthal is reporting that the Yankees are “optimistic” about signing a one-year deal with Mariano Rivera this week. Along with Pettitte and Ichiro, that would make the third old-timer the Yankees are supposed to lock up before the Winter Meetings.
Each of the deals is defensible in and of themselves, but it is striking how much of a play-for-2013 kind of plan this seems to be for the Yankees. This is a team in need of a long term plan, especially on offense, but as of now they’ve really got nothing going that will help them contend in 2014. It’s still November so there is no sense getting all worried about it, but it will be interesting to see if the Yankees do anything that helps them beyond next year.
As for Rivera specifically: a no-brainer to bring him back, especially with Rafael Soriano poised to get a big, multi-year deal elsewhere. We always say that Rivera is going to lose his mojo eventually, and a year after tearing his ACL is as good a candidate as any to be that time, but if there is anyone who has earned the right to die on the field of battle, it’s Mo.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 51
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 36
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)