Nov 27, 2012, 9:51 AM EDT
Ken Rosenthal is reporting that the Yankees are “optimistic” about signing a one-year deal with Mariano Rivera this week. Along with Pettitte and Ichiro, that would make the third old-timer the Yankees are supposed to lock up before the Winter Meetings.
Each of the deals is defensible in and of themselves, but it is striking how much of a play-for-2013 kind of plan this seems to be for the Yankees. This is a team in need of a long term plan, especially on offense, but as of now they’ve really got nothing going that will help them contend in 2014. It’s still November so there is no sense getting all worried about it, but it will be interesting to see if the Yankees do anything that helps them beyond next year.
As for Rivera specifically: a no-brainer to bring him back, especially with Rafael Soriano poised to get a big, multi-year deal elsewhere. We always say that Rivera is going to lose his mojo eventually, and a year after tearing his ACL is as good a candidate as any to be that time, but if there is anyone who has earned the right to die on the field of battle, it’s Mo.
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 1
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 78
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 10
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)