Nov 27, 2012, 9:51 AM EDT
Ken Rosenthal is reporting that the Yankees are “optimistic” about signing a one-year deal with Mariano Rivera this week. Along with Pettitte and Ichiro, that would make the third old-timer the Yankees are supposed to lock up before the Winter Meetings.
Each of the deals is defensible in and of themselves, but it is striking how much of a play-for-2013 kind of plan this seems to be for the Yankees. This is a team in need of a long term plan, especially on offense, but as of now they’ve really got nothing going that will help them contend in 2014. It’s still November so there is no sense getting all worried about it, but it will be interesting to see if the Yankees do anything that helps them beyond next year.
As for Rivera specifically: a no-brainer to bring him back, especially with Rafael Soriano poised to get a big, multi-year deal elsewhere. We always say that Rivera is going to lose his mojo eventually, and a year after tearing his ACL is as good a candidate as any to be that time, but if there is anyone who has earned the right to die on the field of battle, it’s Mo.
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 46
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)