Nov 27, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Harold Baines is staying on the White Sox’s coaching staff, but they’ve decided to switch his role from first base coach to assistant hitting coach to join the increasing trend of teams with two coaches devoted to hitters.
He’ll work alongside hitting coach Jeff Manto, who took over for Greg Walker when Robin Ventura replaced Ozzie Guillen as manager. Daryl Boston, who had been a minor league instructor, takes over for Baines as first base coach and the White Sox also promoted Triple-A pitching coach Bobby Thigpen to be their new bullpen coach.
Thigpen held the MLB single-season saves record with 57 in 1990 before Francisco Rodriguez broke it in 2008. Chicago’s old bullpen coach, Juan Nieves, was recently hired as the Red Sox’s new pitching coach.
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 5
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 4
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 21
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 116
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (104)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car