Nov 27, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Harold Baines is staying on the White Sox’s coaching staff, but they’ve decided to switch his role from first base coach to assistant hitting coach to join the increasing trend of teams with two coaches devoted to hitters.
He’ll work alongside hitting coach Jeff Manto, who took over for Greg Walker when Robin Ventura replaced Ozzie Guillen as manager. Daryl Boston, who had been a minor league instructor, takes over for Baines as first base coach and the White Sox also promoted Triple-A pitching coach Bobby Thigpen to be their new bullpen coach.
Thigpen held the MLB single-season saves record with 57 in 1990 before Francisco Rodriguez broke it in 2008. Chicago’s old bullpen coach, Juan Nieves, was recently hired as the Red Sox’s new pitching coach.
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 0
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 8
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 28
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 45
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (188)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)