Nov 27, 2012, 2:14 PM EST
Harold Baines is staying on the White Sox’s coaching staff, but they’ve decided to switch his role from first base coach to assistant hitting coach to join the increasing trend of teams with two coaches devoted to hitters.
He’ll work alongside hitting coach Jeff Manto, who took over for Greg Walker when Robin Ventura replaced Ozzie Guillen as manager. Daryl Boston, who had been a minor league instructor, takes over for Baines as first base coach and the White Sox also promoted Triple-A pitching coach Bobby Thigpen to be their new bullpen coach.
Thigpen held the MLB single-season saves record with 57 in 1990 before Francisco Rodriguez broke it in 2008. Chicago’s old bullpen coach, Juan Nieves, was recently hired as the Red Sox’s new pitching coach.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 43
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 36
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 117
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)