Nov 27, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Harold Baines is staying on the White Sox’s coaching staff, but they’ve decided to switch his role from first base coach to assistant hitting coach to join the increasing trend of teams with two coaches devoted to hitters.
He’ll work alongside hitting coach Jeff Manto, who took over for Greg Walker when Robin Ventura replaced Ozzie Guillen as manager. Daryl Boston, who had been a minor league instructor, takes over for Baines as first base coach and the White Sox also promoted Triple-A pitching coach Bobby Thigpen to be their new bullpen coach.
Thigpen held the MLB single-season saves record with 57 in 1990 before Francisco Rodriguez broke it in 2008. Chicago’s old bullpen coach, Juan Nieves, was recently hired as the Red Sox’s new pitching coach.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)