Nov 28, 2012, 1:40 PM EDT
UPDATE: Madson passed the physical exam, so it’s a done deal. He gets $3.5 million in upfront money, plus a $2.5 million “roster bonus” and up to $1 million in incentives based on games finished. So he’s guaranteed less than half of what he got from the Reds last offseason and can earn up to $7 million.
According to Crasnick the rehabbing right-hander will get a one-year contract, assuming of course that he passes the physical exam after missing the entire season following Tommy John elbow surgery.
It’ll be interesting to see how much Madson gets, because when the Phillies turned to Jonathan Papelbon instead of re-signing him last offseason his market was limited enough that he settled for a one-year, $8.5 million deal from the Reds. Back then he was 30 years old and coming off a season in which he saved 32 games with a 2.37 ERA and 62/16 K/BB ratio in 61 innings. Now he’s 31 years old and coming off a season in which he didn’t throw a pitch because he needed his elbow reconstructed.
Madson is expected to become the Angels’ closer, which would allow manager Mike Scioscia to use Ernesto Frieri in a setup role.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 146
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 51
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 55
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)