B.J. Upton agrees to five-year, $75 million deal with Braves

Nov 28, 2012, 4:45 PM EDT

b.j. upton getty Getty Images

UPDATE: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com now says Upton is “in agreement” with the Braves on a deal, pending a physical exam.

UPDATE #2: David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution indicates that it’ll be a five- or six-year contract and says there probably won’t be an official announcement until tomorrow.

UPDATE #3: Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that it’s a five-year deal worth at least $70 million.

UPDATE #4: Nothing is official yet, but it might as well be after Upton changed his Twitter avatar to the following:

source:

==========

“In serious talks” seems to be the buzz phrase of this offseason–see here and here, among others–and the latest usage is Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reporting that free agent center fielder B.J. Upton is “in serious talks” with the Braves on a multi-year contract.

A few days ago reports had Upton looking to decide on his new team by the end of this week and the teams most often linked to him have been the Braves and Phillies.

Upton has posted some terrible on-base percentages in recent years, but he’s a very young free agent at 28 and combines 25-homer power with 40-steal speed and excellent range defensively in center field. With the Braves he’d be replacing Michael Bourn, who’s also a free agent after one-and-a-half seasons in Atlanta.

1. Ari Collins - Nov 28, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Now they’re “nearing the completion of a deal” , per Mark Bowman.

2. paperlions - Nov 28, 2012 at 5:17 PM

This would be an interesting signing…nice to see Atlanta spending a little cash now and then.

3. legacybroken - Nov 28, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Maybe that hypothetical Upton, Upton, Heyward outfield could become a reallity afterall.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 28, 2012 at 5:44 PM

I hope they go for it.

4. El Bravo - Nov 28, 2012 at 5:37 PM

5. b453841l - Nov 28, 2012 at 5:37 PM

This will be the most expensive B.J. in the history of the world!!!

• weaselpuppy - Nov 28, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Monica Lewinsky and Ken Starr beg to differ…..

6. mrwillie - Nov 28, 2012 at 5:56 PM

I think I am excited. Glad the Braves are loosening those purse strings though.

7. pkswally024 - Nov 28, 2012 at 6:02 PM

I hope the Phil’s don’t decide to go after Bourn and over pay now. Or Hamilton for that matter.

8. craigisaloser - Nov 28, 2012 at 6:12 PM

I’m surprised Craig didn’t do one of his normal cut and paste jobs to report this…I’m sure he’s got goo all in his shorts right now. I’m glad the Braves got him…..cause I didn’t want him on my team!

9. njbrian67 - Nov 28, 2012 at 6:32 PM

I hope the Phils have a solid answer to add some legitamate power to the lineup. Relying on Chase or Ryan to find their form from three years ago would be sort of like thinking Chad Qualls and Jose Contreras are enough to get them to Papelbon. I know Ruben would never think like that…….

10. phillies816 - Nov 28, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Congrats to the Braves. Happy the Phillies didn’t sign him. Now if we can just avoid Josh Hamilton and Michael Bourn I will be really happy. Tired of the Phillies overpaying for talent. I would rather see Victorino back than overpay Bourn, Hamilton, or Pagan.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3839)