Nov 28, 2012, 4:45 PM EDT
UPDATE: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com now says Upton is “in agreement” with the Braves on a deal, pending a physical exam.
UPDATE #2: David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution indicates that it’ll be a five- or six-year contract and says there probably won’t be an official announcement until tomorrow.
UPDATE #3: Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that it’s a five-year deal worth at least $70 million.
UPDATE #4: Nothing is official yet, but it might as well be after Upton changed his Twitter avatar to the following:
“In serious talks” seems to be the buzz phrase of this offseason–see here and here, among others–and the latest usage is Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reporting that free agent center fielder B.J. Upton is “in serious talks” with the Braves on a multi-year contract.
A few days ago reports had Upton looking to decide on his new team by the end of this week and the teams most often linked to him have been the Braves and Phillies.
Upton has posted some terrible on-base percentages in recent years, but he’s a very young free agent at 28 and combines 25-homer power with 40-steal speed and excellent range defensively in center field. With the Braves he’d be replacing Michael Bourn, who’s also a free agent after one-and-a-half seasons in Atlanta.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 6
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 42
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)