Here is the 2013 Hall of Fame ballot

Nov 28, 2012, 12:07 PM EDT

cooperstown

The Baseball Writers Association of America just released the 2013 Hall of Fame ballot. It, along with information about past voting totals and an overview of all of the candidates’ careers, can be read at the BBWAA website.  Here’s the list of players:

Sandy Alomar Jr.
Larry Walker
Todd Walker
David Wells
Rondell White
Bernie Williams
Woody Williams

The holdovers from last year’s ballot are Bagwell, Martinez, Mattingly, McGriff, McGwire, Morris, Murphy, Palmeiro, Raines, Smith, Trammell, Walker and Williams.  All the rest are new.

We will be going over all of the candidates’ cases in the coming days and weeks.  But up first — in a few short minutes — will be a comprehensive treatment of the Bonds and Clemens candidacies. Which I’m sure you are all dying to read.

1. cur68 - Nov 28, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I see Mike Stanton’s on the list. It’s nice to know that after he retired as a Feesh his accomplishments as slugger with durability are being recognized. Just one thing: he was only retired by Giancarlo last season. How is he eligible for the HOF?

• raysfan1 - Nov 28, 2012 at 10:46 PM

I gotta assume you’re joking.

I also presume this the only year the 18-year MLB reliever will be on the ballot.

• cur68 - Nov 29, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Yes, of course i’m joking. I do know its the pitcher Mike Stanton not the slugger Mike Stanton, but I am mourning the passing of Mike Stanton, Iron Giant slugger of Da Feesg. Why? Well, you remember the speech Crash Davis gave Annie about messing with the streak? Well Stanton, as Mike, was on a streak. He was hitting a ton, injury free, an untouchable old testament god of power hitting on the way up. Decides that “Mike” isn’t the handle he wants to be known by. Decides “Giancarlo” gets the chicks better. Wants to be known as that. Well what happens, eh? He gets injured a lot and Loria sells off the team around him and he’s stuck there with a bunch of scrubs for 4 more years. That didn’t happen to Mike, y’know. That happened to Giancarlo. Why? He messed with the streak is why. This stuff wouldn’t have happened to Mike.

• raysfan1 - Nov 29, 2012 at 1:16 AM

And here I thought he decided to go by Giancarlo because Loria kept complaining about how he wasn’t pitching well enough.

Your comment brings up an interesting thought though–have you tried calling yourself “Giancarlo” to assess its effect upon your success with the double-X chromosomes population? You could set up your own little case-control study.

• cur68 - Nov 29, 2012 at 7:35 AM

I’m doing some volunteer work in the summer. I’ll give it ago then.

• jjflash019 - Dec 12, 2012 at 3:30 PM

It’s not that Mike Stanton. It’s Mike Stanton the pitcher who pitched for the Braves and yankees mostly in his career as primarily a Middle Relief Pitcher.

• cur68 - Dec 12, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Deep sigh. I know. It was a joke.

2. tigerman3 - Nov 28, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Alan Trammell deserves to go in if you look at his numbers compared to Larkin who made it last year there almost Identical. except Larkin has more Stolen Bases. Tram has a World series MVP and was robbed by George Bell of a regular season MVP in1987.

• Detroit Michael - Nov 28, 2012 at 12:24 PM

More to the point, Trammell is one of the 10 best shortstops in MLB history, but pretty clearly should make him a Hall of Famer.

• raysfan1 - Nov 28, 2012 at 11:02 PM

I’d pick Larkin over Trammel, but he definitely belongs in the HoF.

George Bell did not rob Trammel of that MVP, that would be the BBWAA. I’d have to say the voters chose Bell because they were enamored of his 47 HRs, and 134 RBI even though Trammel was a much better fielder at a key defensive position and an exponentially better base runner. Trammel had the higher BA too.

3. historiophiliac - Nov 28, 2012 at 12:19 PM

I suddenly feel old.

• cur68 - Nov 28, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Hey! That’s DIRECTLY making an “old” comment about historiophiliac. If I understand the rules correctly around here, you can make NO comments about historiophiliac’s age AT ALL unless you first shrive your soul. You must listen to Rush as penance. And laps. Run some laps.

• Chris Fiorentino - Nov 28, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Me too…many players from my first Rotisserie team are on that list.

• historiophiliac - Nov 28, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Geez. I’m sorry I hurt your feelers.

There will be no Rush.

• cur68 - Nov 28, 2012 at 12:25 PM

What? No Rush? Dang. I like Rush. Will there be laps? I feel there should be laps.

• historiophiliac - Nov 28, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Is it a pub run?

• cur68 - Nov 28, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Could be. Providing they play Rush at the pub I’m game.

• historiophiliac - Nov 28, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I’m sensing why you need a wingman…

• bravojawja - Nov 28, 2012 at 12:36 PM

There will always be Rush. At least until 2112.

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 28, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Neil Pert can/could bang the skins. That about much sums it up for me.

• historiophiliac - Nov 28, 2012 at 6:58 PM

No, no, Woodpecker. We can go see 3 Days Grace instead. Rage!

• raysfan1 - Nov 28, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Is that Rush the musical group or Rush Limbaugh? If its the second, that’s cruel and unusual punishment and thus not permitted under the US constitution. (& I’m a conservative.)

• cur68 - Nov 29, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Rush the musical group. Not even Limbaugh\’s mother likes Limbaugh.

• raysfan1 - Nov 29, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Okay, that’s fine. Carry on,

• historiophiliac - Nov 29, 2012 at 7:37 AM

No! It makes Burgie’s ears bleed — and ladies love cool James, not prog rock.

• cur68 - Nov 29, 2012 at 7:45 AM

Of course Ladies Love Cool James: LL built like a brick shit-house and knocks you out BUT Rush (built like 12 year old girls) have that “deep” & “creative” thing going for them. Anyhow, I have it on good authority that ‘Burg might have softened her stance on Rush. You should check on that. Today’s Tom Sawyer has a way of sneaking up on you.

• historiophiliac - Nov 29, 2012 at 9:46 AM

She’s just being nice to you.

• itsabergthing - Nov 28, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Me too…

4. Detroit Michael - Nov 28, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Kenny Lofton deserves to be debated. I’m not sure whether I’d support him to be inducted or not. With that slate, he stands a good chance of not getting the minimum 5% to be kept on the ballot. He would potentially join recent guys like Lou Whitaker, Kevin Brown and David Cone who deserved a multi-year debate.

• historiophiliac - Nov 28, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I love that not only are there arguments about getting in, there are also ones about how quickly one should get in or if one deserves at least a decent debate as well — all with indignation attached. :)

• Lukehart80 - Nov 28, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Those guys deserve careful consideration for induction, so indignation that they don’t even stay on the ballot long enough for such consideration is valid.

• historiophiliac - Nov 28, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I wasn’t hating. I’m totally serious. I love that about baseball fans. I include myself in that.

• indaburg - Nov 28, 2012 at 12:58 PM

When it comes to the sacrosanct Hall, the layers of arguments can get down right dizzying. My favorite one is “does he deserve to be in the first time on the ballot?” It’s like some silly dating game. Can’t appear too eager– we won’t let him in the first time. Maybe the third or fourth. If he brings flowers and chocolates. And whiskey.

• historiophiliac - Nov 28, 2012 at 1:00 PM

and bread pudding!

• tuloisgod - Nov 28, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Yeah, I’ve never gotten the Veteran’s Committee, either — if you weren’t good enough to get into the HOF five years after retirement, how is it that you become better years later? If I were a baseball writer with a vote, though, I’d have a simple determining factor: If you have to think about whether a guy belongs in the Hall, he doesn’t belong in the Hall. (Conversely, if a player is truly a great of his era, he probably gets in, knowing full well there are always issues with every era. Ergo, Bonds and Clemens make it into the HOF on my ballot.)

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 30, 2012 at 11:28 AM

I am down with Three Days Grace. They will be in Ft. Wayne on Feb. 15th!
        Lemme know…

5. mattyflex - Nov 28, 2012 at 12:31 PM

What a list.

6. agelardi - Nov 28, 2012 at 12:34 PM

What in the heck did Royce Clayton, Jeff Conine, Shawn Green, Reggie Sanders, Woody Williams do that was HOF worthy? Aaron Sele had a wonderful start to his career but faded fast. I’ve never even heard of Woody Williams.

• jkcalhoun - Nov 28, 2012 at 12:59 PM

The standard for inclusion on the ballot has never really been very high for any player that meets the eligibility requirements, and it’s considered a nice honor for players “just to be considered”. Why should this year be any different?

When somebody who had even a fraction of a decent career gets left off, the members of the Screening Committee know they’ll be hearing about it.

• ptfu - Nov 28, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I summarily sentence you to twenty lashes with a wet noodle for not having heard of the immortal Woody Williams. For shame! Harrumph! Arglebargle!

Anyway, those guys are on the ballot because they played ten seasons and their final season was 2007.

• Detroit Michael - Nov 28, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Yes, but the BBWAA edits down the list. For example, John Mabry played in ten or more seasons and his final season was 2007, but he is not on the ballot. Mabry played in 120+ games only three times in his career, so I’m not saying that he should be on the ballot, but just saying that some discretion is used.

• The Dangerous Mabry - Nov 28, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Also, he was not to be trifled with.

• ptfu - Nov 28, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Well how about that. Suddenly I’m interested in the criteria used by the BBWAA Screening Committee.

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 28, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Google Bulldog and you will have a good feel for what Woody Williams brought to the table.

7. csndrew - Nov 28, 2012 at 12:46 PM

I like trying to pick the 5 worst players on the ballot. Here is my list, in alphabetical order:

1) Jeff Cirillo
    2) Royce Clayton
    3) Aaron Sele
    4) Todd Walker
    5) Woody Williams

• tuloisgod - Nov 28, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Not bad. And three of them played for my beloved Rockies. I can now say that I watched them when they were the worst players on the 2012 HOF ballot!

8. shaggylocks - Nov 28, 2012 at 12:54 PM

“The holdovers from last year’s ballot are Bagwell, Martinez, Mattingly, McGriff, McGwire, Morris, Murphy, Palmeiro, Raines, Smith, Trammell, Walker and Williams.”

Which Walker? Which Williams?

• csndrew - Nov 28, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I think you can figure it out.

• kopy - Nov 28, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Larry and Bernie. Todd and Woody would/will not get the 5% required to stay on.

9. delsj - Nov 28, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Joe Table – best Phillie closer ever!!!

• larrytsg - Nov 28, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I hope Jose Mesa gets elected, and Omar Vizquel shows up at the induction ceremony. If all of this happens (ok, not very likely), what are the odds that Mesa chucks a baseball in the crowd and beans Omar?

10. biggestloser79 - Nov 28, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Hopefully Biggio gets in, something good for Astro nation

11. campfiresondesertandlava - Nov 28, 2012 at 2:09 PM

I’d like to see McGriff make it in.

• shawndc04 - Nov 28, 2012 at 2:23 PM

I completely agree. I always liked his comment (after the steroids scandal) that, “The one thing I’m proud of is that I left with the same body that I came in with.” That and his stats should get him into the Hall.

12. warrenlevine - Nov 28, 2012 at 2:28 PM

If Barry Bonds gets elected, I swear I will not only never attend a MLB game again; I will never even turn to a channel that broadcasts MLB games. Baseball highlights will cause immediate channel change.

Barry Bonds was a miserable prick. Refused to give a little girl in a wheelchair an autograph, and actually asked her to “go get fitty dolla from yo daddy.” Interestingly, that was the last game of the 1995 season (Giants @ Rockies), and the son of a bitch ran into his own third baseman and broke his jaw. Miserable mthrfckr. I hope he falls off a freakin cliff.

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 28, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Warren:
      Was/is Barry Bonds a miserable prick? Without question.
      Was Barry Bonds quite possibly the greatest hitter the game has ever seen? Undoubtedly.
      You do realize that Ty Cobb (among many others) were also miserable pricks….right?

• historiophiliac - Nov 28, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Booooo!

• basedrum777 - Nov 28, 2012 at 7:44 PM

One purposely enhanced his body with drugs to become the great player he became. The other did everything to try to wreck his body and still succeeded. Not a good comparison.

You can argue Bonds was a HOF’er before roids and I’d have a hard time ignoring that argument. But if he’s allowed in DESPITE of what he did with drugs then that’s an issue for me…

• sailcat54 - Dec 1, 2012 at 12:39 AM

As a lifelong Giants fan, I say Barry does not deserve to be in the HOF. In the 90s, Bonds was a magnificent player, never mind the fact he was a world-class asshole. He could hit for average, power the ball over the fence, steal bases, and make spectacular defensive plays look routine. He was beautiful. But he ruined his legacy and damaged the game with his blatant and arrogant use of PEDs. Ultimately, Bonds became the face of everything that was wrong with baseball during that era…and he remains unrepentant about it. I think it is great to remember the player Barry once was, but there is no reason to reward him for his crimes.

Leave Bonds out of the HOF.

13. kappy32 - Nov 28, 2012 at 2:36 PM

“Roberto Hernandez” links to the former Fausto Carmona, not the Hall of Fame eligible player.

14. husky2score - Nov 28, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Never knew I could say steroids so many times in one minute.

15. tominma - Nov 29, 2012 at 7:17 AM

NO PLAYER who is a known user, or had a solid circumstantial case that he used PEDs, should be elected to the Hall of Fame in his lifetime!

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 30, 2012 at 11:22 AM

“or had a solid circumstantial case that he used PEDs”
      I am glad you aren’t calling the shots Tom. Cause….ummm…just wow.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2494)