Nov 28, 2012, 12:46 PM EST
Perez has been one of the best, most underrated southpaw setup men in baseball for most of his seven-year career, posting a 3.01 ERA in 281 innings if you take out his miserable 2009 season.
However, he missed nearly all of this year with a shoulder injury that required surgery in September and has too often worked in the mid-80s recently. He’s expected to be healthy by spring training, but Perez will likely have to settle for a one-year deal or perhaps even a minor-league contract.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 44
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 32
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 50
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 46
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)