Orioles considering reunion with setup man Koji Uehara

Nov 28, 2012, 7:41 PM EST

koji uehara getty Getty Images

The Orioles had one of the best bullpens in the major leagues this year, compiling a fifth-ranked 3.00 ERA.

But they’re still thinking about making some pretty significant upgrades to it this winter via free agency.

According to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun, the O’s have interest in a reunion with setup man Koji Uehara, who was traded away to the Rangers in mid-2011 and spent the entire 2012 season in Texas. “He’s on our list, we like him,” said Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette. “He’s been here before.”

Uehara, 37, posted a 1.75 ERA, 0.64 WHIP and 43/3 K/BB ratio in 36 innings this past year.

The Orioles are also known to have serious interest in free agent right-hander Kameron Loe, who spent the 2012 season with Milwaukee, and highly-coveted Japanese free agent reliever Kyuji Fujikawa.

1. rockthered1286 - Nov 28, 2012 at 8:08 PM

I approve. Never hurts to improve the BP plus Koji had expressed interest in returning to Baltimore this offseason.

This seems to be the O’s (or maybe it’s all Duke) new way of handling off season business: avoid monster FA contracts and look for those mid-low end guys who won’t cost much. Even one diamond in the rough makes it worth it (see McLouth, Nate and Gonzalez, Miguel in 2012).

It ain’t pretty but it works!

• dan1111 - Nov 29, 2012 at 9:15 AM

I hope the Orioles continue to have success with their low-cost pickups. Still, I think their formula for success last year was luck. Last season was a perfect storm of players over-performing their track records, yet they still had the run differential of a .500 team.

Am I a disenchanted Red Sox fan? Yes. However, I would really like to see the Orioles succeed. I just don’t see it yet, sorry.

2. agrog - Nov 28, 2012 at 8:35 PM

I can’t like this enough. “too hot!”

3. vtdcfan - Nov 28, 2012 at 8:37 PM

make it happen!

4. husky2score - Nov 28, 2012 at 10:21 PM

That would be awesome! I always thought Koji was a great pitcher and was disappointed when he left. We would have another great year with the bullpen if we picked him up for sure!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5422)
  2. M. Kemp (3170)
  3. C. McGehee (2938)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2936)
  5. J. Upton (2874)