Nov 28, 2012, 5:17 PM EST
Neshek spent most of this year at Triple-A in the Orioles’ farm system, but was sold to the A’s in August, got called up to Oakland, and tossed 20 innings with a 1.37 ERA down the stretch.
He also appeared in one playoff game, getting two outs to escape a jam against the Tigers just days after rejoining the team following the death of his new-born son.
From his odd pitching mechanics and frequent interaction with fans online to his difficult comeback from Tommy John surgery and the personal tragedy his family suffered Neshek is someone to root for on and off the field, so it’s nice to see he’ll get an extended opportunity in the majors for 2013.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)