Nov 28, 2012, 5:17 PM EST
Neshek spent most of this year at Triple-A in the Orioles’ farm system, but was sold to the A’s in August, got called up to Oakland, and tossed 20 innings with a 1.37 ERA down the stretch.
He also appeared in one playoff game, getting two outs to escape a jam against the Tigers just days after rejoining the team following the death of his new-born son.
From his odd pitching mechanics and frequent interaction with fans online to his difficult comeback from Tommy John surgery and the personal tragedy his family suffered Neshek is someone to root for on and off the field, so it’s nice to see he’ll get an extended opportunity in the majors for 2013.
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a deal with Hanley Ramirez 16
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 18
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)