Nov 28, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Burns made his big-league debut this year with a 5.50 ERA in 17 appearances out of San Diego’s bullpen, but the 24-year-old has a very impressive minor-league track record that includes a 2.36 ERA and 266 strikeouts in 213 innings.
Burns works in the high-80s with his fastball, but as Carson Cistulli of Fan Graphs analyzed in September his changeup is incredibly good and he throws it as often as any pitcher in baseball. I’d like to see the Rangers give Burns an extended opportunity, if only because it’d be interesting to find out if such a changeup-driven approach could work like it did in the minors.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 14
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 45
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17