Nov 28, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Burns made his big-league debut this year with a 5.50 ERA in 17 appearances out of San Diego’s bullpen, but the 24-year-old has a very impressive minor-league track record that includes a 2.36 ERA and 266 strikeouts in 213 innings.
Burns works in the high-80s with his fastball, but as Carson Cistulli of Fan Graphs analyzed in September his changeup is incredibly good and he throws it as often as any pitcher in baseball. I’d like to see the Rangers give Burns an extended opportunity, if only because it’d be interesting to find out if such a changeup-driven approach could work like it did in the minors.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)