Nov 28, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT
The Twins have had conversations with Liriano’s representatives, according to a source with knowledge of the talks, and the sides are expected to meet next week at the Opryland Hotel in Nashville during baseball’s annual winter meetings.
Liriano posted a 5.34 ERA in 2012 for the Twins and White Sox and a 5.09 in 2011 in Minnesota. His 2010 looked great but his 2009 was run-tastic too. It’s hard to remember back when Liriano was viewed as a future ace, but it actually happened. His stuff can still dazzle and he strikes out a lot of guys, but entering his eighth season, banking on him being anything other than an innings-eater at best seems like a stretch.
Still, the Twins need pitching and Liriano technically pitches, so why not?
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 2
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)