Nov 28, 2012, 9:40 AM EST
The Twins have had conversations with Liriano’s representatives, according to a source with knowledge of the talks, and the sides are expected to meet next week at the Opryland Hotel in Nashville during baseball’s annual winter meetings.
Liriano posted a 5.34 ERA in 2012 for the Twins and White Sox and a 5.09 in 2011 in Minnesota. His 2010 looked great but his 2009 was run-tastic too. It’s hard to remember back when Liriano was viewed as a future ace, but it actually happened. His stuff can still dazzle and he strikes out a lot of guys, but entering his eighth season, banking on him being anything other than an innings-eater at best seems like a stretch.
Still, the Twins need pitching and Liriano technically pitches, so why not?
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)