Nov 29, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Blue Jays outfield prospect Anthony Alford was arrested yesterday and charged with aggravated assault after allegedly taking out a gun during a dispute.
Alford, who was Toronto’s third-round pick in June’s draft, is a dual-sport athlete and plays quarterback for the Southern Mississippi University.
According to John Lott of the National Post the incident took place on campus and “Alford and another student reportedly wielded guns, but there were no reports of shots fired or of injuries.”
Campus police chief Bob Hopkins gave a statement saying that the guns were “used in a threatening manner” and Alford has been suspended while waiting for a disciplinary hearing.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)