Nov 29, 2012, 3:15 PM EST
Blue Jays outfield prospect Anthony Alford was arrested yesterday and charged with aggravated assault after allegedly taking out a gun during a dispute.
Alford, who was Toronto’s third-round pick in June’s draft, is a dual-sport athlete and plays quarterback for the Southern Mississippi University.
According to John Lott of the National Post the incident took place on campus and “Alford and another student reportedly wielded guns, but there were no reports of shots fired or of injuries.”
Campus police chief Bob Hopkins gave a statement saying that the guns were “used in a threatening manner” and Alford has been suspended while waiting for a disciplinary hearing.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 80
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)