Nov 29, 2012, 3:15 PM EST
Blue Jays outfield prospect Anthony Alford was arrested yesterday and charged with aggravated assault after allegedly taking out a gun during a dispute.
Alford, who was Toronto’s third-round pick in June’s draft, is a dual-sport athlete and plays quarterback for the Southern Mississippi University.
According to John Lott of the National Post the incident took place on campus and “Alford and another student reportedly wielded guns, but there were no reports of shots fired or of injuries.”
Campus police chief Bob Hopkins gave a statement saying that the guns were “used in a threatening manner” and Alford has been suspended while waiting for a disciplinary hearing.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 10
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 55
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)