Nov 29, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Blue Jays outfield prospect Anthony Alford was arrested yesterday and charged with aggravated assault after allegedly taking out a gun during a dispute.
Alford, who was Toronto’s third-round pick in June’s draft, is a dual-sport athlete and plays quarterback for the Southern Mississippi University.
According to John Lott of the National Post the incident took place on campus and “Alford and another student reportedly wielded guns, but there were no reports of shots fired or of injuries.”
Campus police chief Bob Hopkins gave a statement saying that the guns were “used in a threatening manner” and Alford has been suspended while waiting for a disciplinary hearing.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 43
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 43
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 141
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (143)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)