Nov 29, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Blue Jays outfield prospect Anthony Alford was arrested yesterday and charged with aggravated assault after allegedly taking out a gun during a dispute.
Alford, who was Toronto’s third-round pick in June’s draft, is a dual-sport athlete and plays quarterback for the Southern Mississippi University.
According to John Lott of the National Post the incident took place on campus and “Alford and another student reportedly wielded guns, but there were no reports of shots fired or of injuries.”
Campus police chief Bob Hopkins gave a statement saying that the guns were “used in a threatening manner” and Alford has been suspended while waiting for a disciplinary hearing.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)