Nov 29, 2012, 11:19 AM EST
Now that Carl Pavano is nearing the end of the line at age 36 and coming off a season wrecked by shoulder problems he’s thinking a reunion with the Marlins might be a good idea.
Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post reports that Pavano’s agent “has reached out to the Marlins” and will meet with them at the winter meetings next week.
Pavano left the Marlins as a free agent following the 2004 season, signing with the Yankees. He’s spent the past three-and-a-half seasons with the Twins, but was limited to just 11 ineffective starts this year and was on the disabled list for the final four months.
Even if Pavano can convince the Marlins that he’s reasonably healthy his velocity and strikeout rate have fallen far enough that he’s little more than a potential fourth or fifth starter. For a cheap one-year deal or a minor-league contract a reunion could make sense, particularly since Pavano and new Marlins manager Mike Redmond played together in both Florida and Minnesota.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)