Nov 29, 2012, 7:30 PM EST
With seemingly no one interested in testifying against him, Francisco Rodriguez had the domestic violence charges brought against him in Wisconsin dropped on Thursday.
K-Rod was accused of striking and injuring his 23-year-old girlfriend in September, but the woman later recanted and said that Rodriguez didn’t cause her injuries.
Both the woman and a member of the household staff in Rodriguez’s home that night who witnessed the argument have returned to Venezuela and haven’t responded to the prosecutor attempting to bring the case to trial.
“At this point, I can’t drag her back kicking and screaming,” district attorney Brad Schimel told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
Regardless of how the dismissal unfolded, not having the case hanging over his head will make Rodriguez a more attractive free agent this winter. Still, this being his second domestic violence arrest, some teams are certain to stay away. At 31, it’s unlikely that he’s finished as a quality reliever. However, he’s no longer so good that teams will overlook his baggage.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)