Nov 29, 2012, 4:43 PM EDT
Denard Span has been linked to the Nationals in trade rumors dating back to mid-2011 and the Twins finally pulled the trigger today, sending the 28-year-old center fielder to Washington for pitching prospect Alex Meyer.
Span fits what the Nationals were looking for both offensively and defensively, as he’s a prototypical leadoff man with good on-base skills and speed who covers plenty of ground in center field. This year he hit .283 with a .342 on-base percentage in 128 games and Span has a career OBP of .357. He’s under team control through 2015 at reasonable prices, making $20.25 million over the three seasons.
Meyer was the Nationals’ first-round pick in 2011 out of the University of Kentucky and the 6-foot-9 right-hander with a mid-90s fastball had a strong pro debut this year, throwing 129 innings with a 2.86 ERA and 139/45 K/BB ratio between two levels of Single-A. He’s certainly not MLB-ready yet, but could be ready at some point in 2014 and the Twins have been desperate to find some hard-throwing starters with top-of-the-rotation potential.
Span will take over as the Nationals’ center fielder and leadoff man, allowing Bryce Harper to play a corner spot full time and perhaps signaling the end of Adam LaRoche‘s time in Washington. Ben Revere will replace Span as the Twins’ center fielder and will likely get every chance to become Minnesota’s leadoff man despite a .319 career on-base percentage though age 24.
Note: For my much longer, Twins-centric view of the trade, click here.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 23
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 78
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)