Nov 29, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
UPDATE: Todd Zolecki of MLB.com now says the Phillies’ trade for Lopez “hit a roadblock and is unlikely to happen” despite being agreed upon pending a physical exam yesterday. Sure sounds like the doctor saw something worrisome in Lopez’s elbow.
Yesterday the Phillies were reportedly on the verge of trading for Astros reliever Wilton Lopez and the 29-year-old right-hander was actually in Philadelphia taking a physical exam, but now the deal might be on hold.
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that the trade “appeared to stagnate” and speculates that perhaps the Phillies saw something they didn’t like after examining Lopez’s elbow, which sidelined him briefly this year.
There’s also been some speculation that another team or two jumped into the mix late in an effort to top the Phillies’ offer. As for where the trade stands at this point, that’s unclear, but Salisbury suggests it’s still a possibility.
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 7
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 24
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)