Nov 29, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
UPDATE: Todd Zolecki of MLB.com now says the Phillies’ trade for Lopez “hit a roadblock and is unlikely to happen” despite being agreed upon pending a physical exam yesterday. Sure sounds like the doctor saw something worrisome in Lopez’s elbow.
Yesterday the Phillies were reportedly on the verge of trading for Astros reliever Wilton Lopez and the 29-year-old right-hander was actually in Philadelphia taking a physical exam, but now the deal might be on hold.
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that the trade “appeared to stagnate” and speculates that perhaps the Phillies saw something they didn’t like after examining Lopez’s elbow, which sidelined him briefly this year.
There’s also been some speculation that another team or two jumped into the mix late in an effort to top the Phillies’ offer. As for where the trade stands at this point, that’s unclear, but Salisbury suggests it’s still a possibility.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 51
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)