Nov 29, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Ryan Dempster mostly struggled after being traded from the Cubs to the Rangers and will be 36 years old in 2013, but apparently that hasn’t stopped him from generating plenty of interest as a free agent.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Red Sox, Angels, and Brewers are among the teams pursuing Dempster. And not only that, according to Rosenthal the veteran right-hander is seeking a three-year contract.
Dempster has typically been more of a second or third starter than a true No. 1 guy and his velocity is trending in the wrong direction, so to make a three-year commitment that starts at age 36 seems awfully risky without a ton of upside.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)