Nov 29, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Ryan Dempster mostly struggled after being traded from the Cubs to the Rangers and will be 36 years old in 2013, but apparently that hasn’t stopped him from generating plenty of interest as a free agent.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Red Sox, Angels, and Brewers are among the teams pursuing Dempster. And not only that, according to Rosenthal the veteran right-hander is seeking a three-year contract.
Dempster has typically been more of a second or third starter than a true No. 1 guy and his velocity is trending in the wrong direction, so to make a three-year commitment that starts at age 36 seems awfully risky without a ton of upside.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 38
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (102)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)