Nov 29, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Ryan Dempster mostly struggled after being traded from the Cubs to the Rangers and will be 36 years old in 2013, but apparently that hasn’t stopped him from generating plenty of interest as a free agent.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Red Sox, Angels, and Brewers are among the teams pursuing Dempster. And not only that, according to Rosenthal the veteran right-hander is seeking a three-year contract.
Dempster has typically been more of a second or third starter than a true No. 1 guy and his velocity is trending in the wrong direction, so to make a three-year commitment that starts at age 36 seems awfully risky without a ton of upside.
- Patrick Corbin diagnosed with “damage” to left UCL 38
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 35
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 46
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 58
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (107)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)